Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Forgotten Rock Gems from the 60s/70s?

Virtual Jim

Hey all,

As I was bidding on a Terry Reid CD on Ebay, I got to thinking. I know a shitload about underground bands from the years I've been alive (81 on), however, I really haven't been exposed to older stuff. Meaning: I really had to search out bands like the Sonics, MC5, Stooges, Budgie, Pere Ubu, Television/Hell, the Nuggets boxset, et cetera... stuff that isn't played on classic rock radio, but is immensely good and immensely forgotten. I suppose the weirdo music of its day? It's been a slow process, although it's completely fun.

So I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions that isn't in the above list.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
from Canada: album stuff from the Guess Who, Mandala, Bush, Ugly Ducklings, McKenna Mendelson Mainline, Scrubbaloe Caine, Mood Jga Jga, Les Pucks, Michel Pagliaro, Teenage Head, Forgotten Rebels, The Spoons, Mahogany Rush, FM, Streetheart, Goddo.....
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Does anyone else remember a band from the summer of 1972 called Dust? Three piece band, American, the tune I remember from the album is "From a Dry Camel". Kenny Aaronson on bass, (went on to play with Rick Derringer and Foghat), Marc Bell on drms (went on to play with Richard Hell's Voidoids) and and Richie Wise on guitar (later produceed albums for James Brown and the Eddie and the Cruisers Soundtrack). Neat album, picture of three corspes from the catacombs in Rome on the front cover.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Flaming Groovies are great; I second Moby Grape. Also: Sparks, The Move, Fuzzy Duck, Hawkwind, Edgar Broughton Band, Pink Faeries.

If you like the MC5, try to get ahold of Fred "Sonic" Smith's post-five stuff in Sonic's Rendezvous.

Other Canadian acts you might want to check out: The Gruesomes, Pointed Sticks, Young Canadians, Art Bergmann, DOA (course, DOA are still going ...).

Along with those already mentioned I'd add Fever Tree, Vanilla Fudge, and one of my favorite songs, "A Question of Temperature".

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by picker:

Does anyone else remember a band from the summer of 1972 called Dust? Three piece band, American, the tune I remember from the album is "From a Dry Camel". Kenny Aaronson on bass, (went on to play with Rick Derringer and Foghat), Marc Bell on drums (went on to play with Richard Hell's Voidoids) and and Richie Wise on guitar (later produceed albums for James Brown and the Eddie and the Cruisers Soundtrack). Neat album, picture of three corspes from the catacombs in Rome on the front cover.

I remember that album from my brother's collection. And as a further bit of info, Marc Bell went on to even greater fame if not fortune when he became Marky Ramone.

:thu:

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

J. Geils band has been mentioned and I second the opinion. I especially recommend two of their early live albums, Full House and Live! Blow Your Face Out!

I liked their pop stuff from '79 through the early eighties, but it rally pales in comparison to their earlier bar-boogie period. Favorite early Geils tunes are "House Party" and the instrumental "Whammer-Jammer." :thu:

BTW - Hey Ellwood, I grew up in Warren, hence my affinity for the early J. Geils period. Also went to the same high school as Mitch Ryder, although I was there 18 years later. He's another fave. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by ellwood:

Electric Prunes, Strawberry Alarm Clock,J.Geils Band,... Mitch Ryder, Crazy Horse, Floricent Leech and Eddy, Velvet Underground,Rare Earth.

These are the times when I realize that maybe I AM way off to left-of-field in my tastes.

Are the Velvet Underground a forgotten nugget these days? I thought they were prettyu much mainstream. If they're forgotten, who the heck do bands namecheck nowadays then? ;)

Originally posted by dreibel:

from Canada: album stuff from the Guess Who, Mandala, Bush, Ugly Ducklings, McKenna Mendelson Mainline, Scrubbaloe Caine, Mood Jga Jga, Les Pucks, Michel Pagliaro, Teenage Head, Forgotten Rebels, The Spoons, Mahogany Rush, FM, Streetheart, Goddo.....

Ooooh that list takes me back. You left out Fludd, Martha and the Muffins, and my personal favourite, 63 Monroe.

My Brother-in-law's twin brother was the drummer for Goddo, and also Klaatu. I heard a Harlequin tune on the radio this morning. Apparently when Harlequin played live, instead of singing the word "innocence" in their hit song of the same name, they'd sing "anal sex", making the chorus of the song...

Anal Sex, yes that's all you ever pleaded

Anal Sex, yes that's all you'll ever plead X 2

Anal Sex, Yes, That's all you'll ever plead to me

Yes it's all you ever plead

They'd often sing "needed and need" instead of "pleaded and plead"

A great book of Canadian Rock and Roll tales is "On a Cold Road" by Dave Bidini of Rheostatics.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by Mudcat:

J. Geils band has been mentioned and I second the opinion. I especially recommend two of their early live albums, Full House and Live! Blow Your Face Out!

I liked their pop stuff from '79 through the early eighties, but it rally pales in comparison to their earlier bar-boogie period. Favorite early Geils tunes are "House Party" and the instrumental "Whammer-Jammer." :thu:

BTW - Hey Ellwood, I grew up in Warren, hence my affinity for the early J. Geils period. Also went to the same high school as Mitch Ryder, although I was there 18 years later. He's another fave. :thu:

Yes and great memories too! like alot of groups that played the Grandie ballroom and the East town Theatre, Geils and the rest of the headline groups used local acts to warm up..I was in one of those groups, well actually a couple of them, so I got to meet and play sometimes with them. I especilly liked Magic dick the harp player in Geils a very nice and humble guy and what a talent as was the rest of the group meet all of those guy alot of times. Fred Smith with the MC5 was my 1st. cousin hes passed on now. So ya good old Detroit R&R for sure.

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Electric Prunes, Strawberry Alarm Clock,J.Geils Band,... Mitch Ryder, Crazy Horse, Floricent Leech and Eddy, Velvet Underground,Rare Earth.

These are the times when I realize that maybe I AM way off to left-of-field in my tastes.

Are the Velvet Underground a forgotten nugget these days? I thought they were prettyu much mainstream. If they're forgotten, who the heck do bands namecheck nowadays then? ;)

Vince I was just going by what we hear here on classic rock radio...I never seem to hear VU here.

Originally posted by dreibel:

You forgot about one of my favourite Canadian bands....Max Webster!!!!!
"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

Quicksilver Messenger Service, Country Joe and the Fish, Manassas, Poco, the Chambers Brothers, Pentangle, The Incredible String Band, Electric Flag, Paul Butterfield Blues Band...

P.S. Mark/Almond consisted of Jon Mark and ________ Almond, John Mayall's acoustic band ("Turning Point") immediately following the demise of the Bluesbreakers.

Vince I was just going by what we hear here on classic rock radio...I never seem to hear VU here.

Yeah, you're right... they've pretty much wound up as patron saints of .alt whatever. They wouldn't be on a classic rock format, except maybe (I'm guessing) for "Sweet Jane" or "Rock And Roll".

Fred Smith with the MC5 was my 1st. cousin hes passed on now. So ya good old Detroit R&R for sure.

Far effing out!

You know, I'd been meaning to ask about that, because on a couple of prior threads you've mentioned having been on close terms with the MC5. I just never got around to asking what you meant.

Wow... I AM blown out. :)

Budgie were a great band. By the way, Vince you'll probably understand this one, I heard a blowfly referred to today as a 'dunny budgie'.

Were you into the Angels? Best pub band of all time. I just watched the current line-up play live on telly, without Doc Neeson on vocals and it was woeful I've gotta say. Brewster brothers were good as ever on guitar, but those guy's just can't sing. The comment by Rockincyanblues about the band who used to substitute their lyrics with 'anal sex' made me think of the audience response to The Angel's song Will I ever See Your Face Again.

Originally posted by Philemec:

Were you into the Angels? Best pub band of all time.

I've seen them on a couple of "big day out" type things, but even back when they were supporting the Radiators they were too big for a mere pub. :D

I'm trying to think of WHO was a good pub band that I'd actually make an effort to see (well, the Plunderers, certainly, but besides them) Uhmm... Vrag, the Cruel Sea, Beasts of Bourbon (I may think Tex Perkins is a prick but he's a good singer). Rose Tattoo and the Oils (or so I've been told) Chisel were good. Can't really remember, I just used to go see whatever was on at the local.

I just watched the current line-up play live on telly, without Doc Neeson on vocals and it was woeful I've gotta say.

God, you're always spinning me out. No Doc Neeson? Dead set, dinks etc? :confused: I gotta google that!

made me think of the audience response to The Angel's song Will I ever See Your Face Again.

You sure you're not thinking of "Live It Up" when he does that "Coordination, when more than 1000 people coordinate at the same time" bullshit? :D

BTW: if you want to hear a great version of that song, there's a really neat, Brent Parlane C&W cover of it.

Re:The Angels audience response to the line "Will I Ever See Your Face Again"? This was of course "No way, Get ****ed,F*** off". Should be our national anthem.

By 'pub' band, I was thinking of the old Bondi Lifesaver. I remember seeing the Angels there once and the crowd energy was so great, you bounced up and down on the wooden floor like it was a trampoline.

It gets worse Vince.Turns out, predictably perhaps, that the Brewster brothers and Doc Neeson are battling through the courts over who owns the name The Angels, so there's The Original Angels and Doc Neeson's Angels. *sigh*

...Fred Smith with the MC5 was my 1st. cousin hes passed on now...

I read an article about his funeral. I was sorry to hear about it.

I was unaware of the MC5 until 77 or 78 when I was in junior high school. Once I discovered them I was blown away. Fred Smith & Wayne Kramer were both great players. I especially liked their rhythm playing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but did you know any of the guys in the Torpedos or Mutants? Those were a couple of great motor-city rock-bands!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

It gets worse Vince.Turns out, predictably perhaps, that the Brewster brothers and Doc Neeson are battling through the courts over who owns the name The Angels, so there's The Original Angels and Doc Neeson's Angels. *sigh*

No... that's in AUSTRALIA. Outside Oz, the name is apparently owned by some C&W band and OUR angels are known as "Angel City" :D So it's probably a three way tug of war in the courts!

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Fred Smith with the MC5 was my 1st. cousin hes passed on now. So ya good old Detroit R&R for sure.

I've been meaning to ask... your 1st cousin wound up in a band with a girl, and a punk band at that...

What'd you think of all that?

Well I didn't think much of it at all, I remember going to some of their occasional bar gigs before the John Sinclair thing happened and Fred was not very good. Havent seen Patti in a couple of years.

Originally posted by Mudcat:

...Fred Smith with the MC5 was my 1st. cousin hes passed on now...

I read an article about his funeral. I was sorry to hear about it.

I was unaware of the MC5 until 77 or 78 when I was in junior high school. Once I discovered them I was blown away. Fred Smith & Wayne Kramer were both great players. I especially liked their rhythm playing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but did you know any of the guys in the Torpedos or Mutants? Those were a couple of great motor-city rock-bands!

Thanks man, ya Fred was a good guy. I only know of the Mutants and Torpedos by reputation through Patti she knew them well I think..see alot of these bands where really based out of Ann Arbor.

Archived