Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Std hex wrench sizes needed for guitar adjustments

caprae

Are there two standard sizes of hex/allen wrenches that fit most electric guitars - one for the bridge saddles and one for the truss rod? If so, what are they? Metric or Inches?

I've got a Godin and a Schecter that came without wrenches so I need to make a Sears run.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know how standard they are but my American Deluxe Fat Strat uses 0.050 for the saddles and a 1/8 for the truss rod.

I think they are pretty standard but Im not sure where to check to find out.

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

When you put the wrench in your truss rod does it have a little play to it or does it seem to have a good tight fit?
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Ya the 1/8" has about 10 Deg. of play. The next largest is 9/64", tried one but doesn't fit.

The 1/8" allen came with the guitar and mics-out at 0.125".

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

Originally posted by caprae:

Are there two standard sizes of hex/allen wrenches that fit most electric guitars - one for the bridge saddles and one for the truss rod? If so, what are they? Metric or Inches?

I've got a Godin and a Schecter that came without wrenches so I need to make a Sears run.

did you get the gig bag with the freeway? check all the pockets, there should be a bag with the wrenches and a warranty card.

Nah - got it off eBay. I've seen those bags and they are as sweet as they come. The seller included a blank warranty card (as if I would use it now) and the thing is showroom quality. No neck or fret wear, no buckle rash, very light pick scratches if you hold it in the light just right. My intent was to keep it or my Schecter, but now I can't get either out of my twins' hands. One just got the Showmaster Blackout (set neck) with real Seymour Duncan pickups and is amazed that the Freeway has better sustain through our VOX AD30VT. He's feeling slightly ripped. When he was first looking I took him by a local shop and showed him these but he had no interest in them whatsover. Go figure.

Unfortunately,

I've found that the sizes are not standard. I recommend that you bring your guitar into a hardware store which has a good selection of both USA and Metric allen wrenches. By trial and error, get the correct sizes that fit the saddles and truss rod respectively.

I guess I'll email the respective companies and see what they say. I would have thought that these things were standardized by now. Silly Wabbit.

Yeah, what Lancer said. I had sets of metric and SAE and neither would fit my MIJ strat locking nut. A quick trip to the hardward store (it was an Ace) had me fixed up for about 35 cents. They have boxes of those wrenches in racks. The "Helpful Hardware" dude or dudette should have you in and gone in a flash.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Woe, that's a lot better than the $3.95 for a pair at Sears. Guess I know where I'm headed.

Thanks!

Archived