Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing speaker (same impedance) types

BluesWithoutBlame

Anyone have any experience with mixing speaker types?

I mean, in a 4xwhatever cabinet where the impedances are all equal but either you have say 2x10 + 2x12, OR you have 2x12 (one brand) + 2x12 (another different type)?

While I have you here...it strikes me that speakers are maybe THE worst thing to buy...because there are so many variables (equipment, style of music, your own ability and technique, configuration) and so much conflicting information.

I think speaker manufacturers bought the biggest thesarus they could find to find different ways to describe ALL of their line as "tight bass, bell-like sound, highs that cut through the mix" in different terms.

If you are like me, you have no access to the speakers (much less than with pedals or amps) through music stores. No way to hook up some 12s in your cabinet or combo, or even just try them out with a similar amp, unless the folks in the music store know what speakers are in cabinets...but they just want to sell the cabinets. I can't afford 4 speakers just to try them out and find out they don't work as well for my setup and style.

Speakers are like the guitarists equivalent of socks or harmonicas...you can't try them out.

And too many people buy ONE set of speakers and since they only can compare with the old ones, they claim "THESE are THE ones" but you don't know how much experience they have. In there somewhere there are also folks that KNOW what speakers sound like what (but even then they will tell you the same model can have wide variances) but how do you find them.

I think it is a crapshoot.

But I am looking for som 10s (2) and some 12s(2) and play blues, Hendrix, SRV, Elmore James, etc. etc.

Using a prosonic, but also sometimes a Carvin MTS3212, and Peavey classic 30.

Maybe Celestion Vintage 30 for the 12's.

Maybe I just ought to contact Celestion.

I've been playing for 30 years, know a lot about amps, nothing about speakers (I thought I did but I was wrong) I don't even know if Jensen are like poor mans subsitutes or considered good, if Celestion is the best? Or ??

Any help is appreciated.

I am trying to figure out what I want to do...I have currently

2- 2x12 cabinets each with one speaker and one hole (I removed the second from each cabinet)for a "detuned" cabinet. Can sound excellent at times.

1- Carvin 2x12 cabinet.

1- Just bought, Marshall 8412 4x12 cab.

I just bought a pair of "add-a-baffle" that are on their way to me from Jdesign...that convert the openenig for a speaker mount form 12 to 10 inches.

Either I use some 10s (not decided which) as an ext cab in my Carvin 2x10 (maybe configure for 8 ohm parallel), Or I replace the two top 12s with 10s in my Marshall cab (then move those two into another cabinet), or fill up the hole in the current detuned 2x12 cabs.

I'm losing it, in other words :-) TOO MANY OPTIONS..

Somebody steer me, okay?

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to further confuse you.....

I recently bought a 12" bass speaker from the Carlsboro amp factory and it turned out to be a Beyma. This one *seems* to be made in Spain, has a very flat response, is *very* sensitive (101db@1m) and is pretty punchy to boot.

Currently I have it in an open backed cab, but am looking for a closed back. It's rated at 250W@8 Ohms. I couple this with a 15" Celestion (same rating/Ohms) which I got ex-Trace Elliott surplus when they closed down the factory - brand new and unused. This is a well known and tried speaker which I have in a Trapezoidal ported cab. This is big, bassy and lush.

The Beyma, at least at low volumes, is notably louder and punchier than the Celestion.

I'd suggest you do some research on Beyma - however, I suppose if you can't get them over there, you could give it a miss.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I think several manufacturers have done with their amps. Mixing 8 and 10 inch drivers as well as 10 and 12 inchers. I think they were all four driver cabs, though.

If I'm not mistaken, Carvin did that on some of their stuff back in the 60's. I think Fender did it more recently than that but I can't recall what model(s) they were.

Born on the Bayou

Archived