Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question: Gain vs Volume. What's all this then?

WornNeck

How do these two terms differ? I see them used interchangably quite often. Am I right that "volume" is more a measure of overall loudness, whereas gain refers the amount a circuit or tube is overdriven? I usually see gain equated with the level of distortion.

In theory, you could have high gain and low volume?

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi worn neck,

volume controls the overall output of your unit, there may be a channel volume and then a master volume, if that is the case you can get a driven sound (gain)on a clean channel by turning the volume all the way up on your clean channel, and of course the master volume controls how loud u put that out.

in other cases you may just have 1 volume control and your gain control adjusts the level of drive you may want and volume is just over all volume.

tube amps especially are very flexible in those circumstances, you can get powerbreakers, or the vox valvetronics amps already have the attenuater on the back,except the 15w valvetornics, these allow you to have a full tube driven sound in any situation, i.e bedroom, small rehearsal room or mic'd up at a gig

Gain is a characteristic of amplification. If there's no amplification going on, there's no gain. Volume controls attenuate or cut a signal. A gain control is a part of active electronic circuitry that can either boost or cut a signal.

Example 1: A guitar volume knob only cuts the signal from the pickups so it's a volume knob, not a gain control.

Example 2: The distortion knob on a Distortion + adjusts the amplification factor of the chip in the circuit, therefore it's a gain control, not a volume control.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

outside of the world of guitarists, it actually has meaning. within our circle, it means whatever the guy tsaking about it wants it to mean at that second in time, with little concern for any science or truth.

very generally speaking, (again, within the world of guitar...) volume is loudness and gain is distortion.

It's kinda like on stage.... up is out, down is in, but down is near the audience, while up is away from them, and left is right and right is left, and a strike means a whole lotta work.... but somehow we all know what we are talking about.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived