Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(how) do you tell people the suck?

BlueZet

hi bad blues,

sounds like they are just playing loud and fast cos its easier and covers little mistakes.

why should you sacrifice your ability and progress and wait for them to fall into place?, if it doesnt make you happy or is not matched to your standard get out mate, it becomes a frustrating boring chore when its like that, id play the gig, get it recorded somehow just so you can hear how "you" did, then fuck em off and find the right band, any half good band is always wanting to improve and will have meetings down the pub just so you can all throw ideas about and get the chance to deliver some constructive criticism

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by therhodeo:

I know exactly how you feel I'm in a band right now with the same tyope problems. I have a bass player who cant sing but insists on singing lead on part of the songs and when he does he only plays quarter notes on hte root and not smoothly either. Very thunk thunk. The acoustic guitar player cant play anything if it has a barre chord of any kind because he cant play them. The strings get caught in the grooves of his fingers or so he says. And worse than all this the drummer can't end a song at the same tempo we start at. Add all this to the fact that they cant change they're own strings or set up the gear and its a pretty frustrating situation. And dont ask why im still with them its kinda complicated.

OK! Im sorry but I gotta....WHY!! :thu: WHAT the heck are you thinking..Ide rather play with myself...ahhh wait... that didnt sound right...tee hee hee :D

Originally posted by therhodeo:

I have a bass player who cant sing but insists on singing lead on part of the songs and when he does he only plays quarter notes...

Uhmmm... how OLD are youse? Sounds like one of those teenage garage bands.

But if it's fun, why not enjoy it?

I'm old enough that i should be playing with better musicians but i live in a rural area and their isnt anyone else to play with, and moving is out of the question till at least the first of the year. And no its not fun but i committed to this for someone else and i cant back out right now.

well... the singer solved my problem, after rehearsal today, she started to air some thoughts about me to the rest of the band, while I was standing right beside her... it took about 3 minutes (I was packing my gear) before I stopped her by telling her she was welcome to go and do it all by herself, packed up and left. At first I said I'd do next months gig, but I just mailed them that I didn't think this was a good idea - I don't want to work in this atmosphere
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Originally posted by badblues:

well... the singer solved my problem, after rehearsal today, she started to air some thoughts about me to the rest of the band, while I was standing right beside her... it took about 3 minutes (I was packing my gear) before I stopped her by telling her she was welcome to go and do it all by herself, packed up and left. At first I said I'd do next months gig, but I just mailed them that I didn't think this was a good idea - I don't want to work in this atmosphere

Are you going to think twice next time you decide to get into a group with a woman? I know I got cured of that.

you might just be right Elwood - I've been in bands with women before and... well let's say there's one we're still good friends with, regularly call and occasional visits (that band stopped for other reasons - does the term musical differences mean anything to you? ;) ) - but the rest... jealous boyfriends/husbands, bandmembers falling in love and being rejected, more than one bandmember in love with the girl at the same time, the girl in love with one of the bandmembers and being rejected, jealous girlfriends/wives - you name it, i've seen it and seen bands break up over it, but then again, I've also seen bands break up because the drummer thinks the singer has the hots for his wife, the guitar player's wife can't stand the bass player's girlfriend,...

but the worst must be DEMOCRACY in a band - if everyone has a say in every decision, endless discussions lead to disagreements and people not being happy with the decisions taken (which will lead to more discussions, more disagreements,...)or (just as bad) NO decisions being taken which leads to no progress, no gigs and eventually no more band

so, let's not put the blame on women for EVERYTHING ;)

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I've been in bands with women and have never experienced such problems. The women knew they were there to play music and that was it. We didn't treat them as a "woman," but just another member of the band. I think a lot of problems come because the guys treat the girls differently than they do each other.
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

YOU DONT TELL PPL THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id ont care what you say you just dont, even if there assholes. If ppl thought you were shit and they went up and told you that you suck than obviously that would not feel very good. As a guitarist with respect for others who play this FINE instrument, you just dont do it.

Originally posted by AWD 8T2:

YOU DONT TELL PPL THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id ont care what you say you just dont, even if there assholes. If ppl thought you were shit and they went up and told you that you suck than obviously that would not feel very good. As a guitarist with respect for others who play this FINE instrument, you just dont do it.

I didn't, I walked ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The simple fact is, it'd not always easy to find talented musicians who are on the same wavelength as you are! There are ALWAYS compromises... OK, I don't care for this song, but this guy loves it...

What I have trouble with is when they can't be bothered to tune up, or learn the chords to songs they don't like (yes, I understand the temptation!), or other such nonsense. There IS such a thing as taking pride in your work, and the audience should be respected, too. Give them their money's worth!

I am most definitely looking for another band to play in, but am not quite yet desperate enough to commit to a band with people who are quite obviously ten zillion light years from me in terms of what they want to do musically. That doesn't mean I disrespect anyone... but comes a point when it just ain't working, and after all, I'm not MARRIED to them!

But that doesn't mean I'd skip out on a gig I was committed to... just an amicable divorce with a time frame.. OK, I'll play with you guys through such and such a period.. hoping they would understand.......

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

The simple fact is, it'd not always easy to find talented musicians who are on the same wavelength as you are! There are ALWAYS compromises... OK, I don't care for this song, but this guy loves it...

What I have trouble with is when they can't be bothered to tune up, or learn the chords to songs they don't like (yes, I understand the temptation!), or other such nonsense. There IS such a thing as taking pride in your work, and the audience should be respected, too. Give them their money's worth!

I am most definitely looking for another band to play in, but am not quite yet desperate enough to commit to a band with people who are quite obviously ten zillion light years from me in terms of what they want to do musically. That doesn't mean I disrespect anyone... but comes a point when it just ain't working, and after all, I'm not MARRIED to them!

But that doesn't mean I'd skip out on a gig I was committed to... just an amicable divorce with a time frame.. OK, I'll play with you guys through such and such a period.. hoping they would understand.......

Eric..excellent point. In my group, we just had a long talk instead of practice the last time. Trying to make things work. Some start wanting to make hard and fast rules, some mention things like "well...we aren't professional or anything" (meaning there was no reason to go whole hog with a logo, etc.)

I reacted by sayig that if we all took pride in our work and ACTED professional we would be a long ways towards being professional. I pointed out, I doubt if Clapton, Beck, Wyman, etc. all were doing a benefit...I tend to doubt they need a dictator to get things straightened out...doubt they bicker all that much, etc.

That if we treated each other with respect, but also made it so egos get checked at the door, the MUSIC is the thing...the leader doesn't have to take all responsibility....if a song doesn't swing, it's not up to the leader (as has been done til now) to diagnose and fix...I prefer he said "this doesn't swing...how come" and each member looks at his own part, if he has a suggestion for another not to say "you are playing that wrong" but "how about if you tried THIS when we got to there" and even then...give the person a chance and worry mostly about your own part.

So many things. We had this discussion because (first time I ever did this) I had thought long and hard and decided it was time to find some other folks to play with. They wanted me to stay, it was nice to hear the complements, but I really need to be a PART of a group, with some say in what we do.

Anyway...you were right. That is really the key.

When people act pro, things become a lot better.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Eric..excellent point. In my group, we just had a long talk instead of practice the last time. Trying to make things work. Some start wanting to make hard and fast rules, some mention things like "well...we aren't professional or anything" (meaning there was no reason to go whole hog with a logo, etc.)

I reacted by sayig that if we all took pride in our work and ACTED professional we would be a long ways towards being professional. I pointed out, I doubt if Clapton, Beck, Wyman, etc. all were doing a benefit...I tend to doubt they need a dictator to get things straightened out...doubt they bicker all that much, etc.

That if we treated each other with respect, but also made it so egos get checked at the door, the MUSIC is the thing...the leader doesn't have to take all responsibility....if a song doesn't swing, it's not up to the leader (as has been done til now) to diagnose and fix...I prefer he said "this doesn't swing...how come" and each member looks at his own part, if he has a suggestion for another not to say "you are playing that wrong" but "how about if you tried THIS when we got to there" and even then...give the person a chance and worry mostly about your own part.

So many things. We had this discussion because (first time I ever did this) I had thought long and hard and decided it was time to find some other folks to play with. They wanted me to stay, it was nice to hear the complements, but I really need to be a PART of a group, with some say in what we do.

Anyway...you were right. That is really the key.

When people act pro, things become a lot better.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by badblues:

I was in a band with a female vocalist once... once!

This thread's got legs enough to just up and walk right out in the middle of a gig :eek:

I managed to fired our lead vocalist once (you actually only get to do that kind of thing once :rolleyes: )

Briliant move on my part :freak:

It was explained to me slightly after the door shut that I didn't actually have the authority to carry out that indignity without some kind of democratic exercise.

... I just acted on an informal poll taken from bar patrons and friends and made an executive decision.

The end result was acceptable.

What I did was moronic.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

These things tend to work themselves out, if you are patient enough. I gues that saves you from have to tell people like the chick singer she couldn't carry a tune in bucket with a lid on it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived