Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rockabilly and psychobilly

jimbojones

Me and my buddies got a group going and we were thinking about a style to play forever. We finally agreed on heavy rockabilly and psychobilly. I don't listen to too much of it. Any listening reccomendations? Thanks a ton!

- James

primus sucks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hillbilly Hellcats - "Rev it up with Taz"

Webb Wilder and the Beatnecks - "It Came from Nashville"

Any Jason and the Scorchers

Along with the obvious Rev. Horton Heat and Southern Culture on the skids.

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

The Living End - give that album Modern ARTillery a spin, as well as a great punk/rockabilly vibe there's some pretty good songwriting on that.

Teenage Head - imagine if Iggy and The Stooges played rockabilly, and you'd get a good idea how this Hamilton, Ontario, Canada look and sound. Albums to get would be Frantic City (with their only hit, "Let's Shake") and Some Kinda Fun .

When the Stray Cats hit it big in Britain it caused a small rockabilly revival that produced a few groups. Ones I remember include The Polecats (they were produced by Dave Edmunds, and probably best remembered for their cover of Bowie's "John, I'm Only Dancing") and the Shakin' Pyramids (an acoustic foursome that was referred to as "reeferbilly")

and NRBQ! What these guys do with rockabilly, country and R&B is a revelation - these guys have long deserved to be national treasures. I'd suggest Grooves In Orbit, At Yankee Stadium, and Tiddlywinks, as well as their surprisingly enjoyed by all ages kids record You're Nice People You Are .

And remember to do your homework on where it started - early Elvis, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Deadbolt - Tijuana Hit Squad

Famous Monsters - Around The World

The Cramps - pretty much anything

Man Or Astroman? - ditto

Shit. That'll do it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by jimbojones:

Whats that clicking sound I hear sometimes? Is that the upright bass?

AKA "doghouse" bass. It's played "slap" style. I believe Cab Calloway's bassist popularized the style in the twenties. Wish I could remember his name. :confused: He was an excellent bassist.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by jimbojones:

Me and my buddies got a group going and we were thinking about a style to play forever. We finally agreed on heavy rockabilly and psychobilly.- James

Just curious as to how you choose those styles. Are the other guys real into those styles? Although it's always good to familiarize yourself with a playing style you don't normally play, I've always enjoyed bands with a wealth of influences. Why don't you take the stuff you're influenced by and think about it in a rockabilly and psychobilly context. Rockabilly and psychobilly came about because guys where listening to the old classics and added their own influence. Originallity is KEY! Just my $.02 :thu:

Archived