Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar to MIDI notation

Robman2

I have an old G-10 for feeding MIDI and bought A Finale Music Writer software over the weekend.

It's really for keybords as I found out...and I'd use it for that.

My choice used to be Cubase with the scoring capability but since Yamaha bought them, I cannot get an answer from their managment as to what might be, they are AFU as far as I can tell.

SO...question is.

I'm penning a tune for a Jazz bassist (a looker)vocalist in NYC, who's got a CD to do in a month or so and I'd like to play the lines into a scoring program, from the GK2 and G-10 or AXON, any ideas about software for Guitar/MIDI transcription?

Thanks,

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used Finale with my GR-30/GK2 with moderate success. You have to play very cleanly and slowly if you want any kind of accuracy. And forget about chords. I'm sure there are probably better setups out there. Good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

The tune is slow and I'd fill in chords after bass line...

West L. A. has it in stock, I'll buy it on the way home.

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Same here.. GR50, GK2, but last year I replaced the GK2 with a GraphTech Ghost. Finale works well for me, but Band In A Box does a credible job for much less money and offers other features, too.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Bill, I use Band-In-A-Box too and agree that for the money, it's an outstanding program :cool: . I've used it for backing tracks on many of the clips I've posted on the music thread. But since guitar MIDI input for notation is "iffy" at best, I always wind up manually correcting things and BIAB's notation editor is kind of a pain to use. I typically use Finale and then import it into BIAB to make use if it's features.

Paul

Originally posted by pauldil:

...since guitar MIDI input for notation is "iffy" at best, I always wind up manually correcting things and BIAB's notation editor is kind of a pain to use. I typically use Finale and then import it into BIAB to make use if it's features.

Paul

I didn't know that. I have BIAB, and I have not used it. Meahwhile, every time I look at the feature set, I find something else that I missed, and something that would be cool to use. But I'm not recording that much these days, and when I do, it is usually for someone else, and usually in Sequoia or SAWStudio. I need to sit down and work some with BIAB, and SMAART, and Magix Movie Edit 10... sigh... (I put in 167 hours in the last 2 weeks in the theater... doesn't leave much time for -anything- else...)

Playing MIDI guitar requires a whole different mind-set, and requires that you play very cleanly. I try to approach the guitar as the instrument that I want it to be (flute, piano, whatever..) but I usually don't use that instrument sound. I've gotten very comfortable playing in the 'RubberLead' patch in my GR-50 as my default sound for all MIDI input, and imagining that I am playing the instrument that I'll be assigning to the track. I don't know why, but playing a flute patch when I want a flute (or whatever...) distracts me. Maybe it is the latency, I don't know.

I found the Ghost pickup (built into the bridge saddles) to be much cleaner than my GK2. Still, those ghost notes sometimes appear, and need to be edited out.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived