Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

9V Battery-Types & Tone

jabney

hi guitar players,

There are now NiMh 9 volt batteries. I'm interested in comments from any of you guitar players that have used them. The only sound-related comments I've found so far (using google) have come from wireless microphone users. But I would like to know what the impact - if any - on tone would be when using 9v NiMh in FX pedals, DIs, etc.

I've seen 9v carbon batteries at a premium price sold in Sam Ash for players who don't like the effect that alkaline supposedly has on their tone. So I guess at least some people think battery-type affects tone. Is it true?

I usually post on some of the other MusicPlayer forums, but this question is about tone. And who better to ask about tone than a guitarist.

best,

John

please visit www.johnabney.com - free music

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends both on the effect-pedal, and the individual playing through it.

I have yet to try any of those NiMh, but I have compared old-style carbon, alkaline, and NiCad batteries in effects-pedals. I haven't had much use for most pedals in a while, though.

Most newer effects pedals will sound perfectly fine, perhaps even their best, with a good robust alkaline battery in the power-supply. But some older effects pedals, and some newer ones of similar design and type, can sound differently with carbon or alkaline batteries. I found that I preferred carbons in an old, IC-based Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi distortion, and an old E-H Small Stone phase-shifter. As a matter of fact, the Small Stone seemed to sound great when the battery was quite weak.

But most others sounded as good or better to me with alkalines. Some seemed to get a longer charge from alkalines than NiCads, and some of those seemed to have a little more dynamic response, headroom, and horsepower with alkalines instead of NiCads. Some simply showed no perceivable difference to my ears.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

As a matter of fact, the Small Stone seemed to sound great when the battery was quite weak
Caev you ever remember the little muff?Well anyway

I had one that worked like that,it worked best

when the battery was weak.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Many people (among them, Eric Johnson) that dying carbon batteries make their overdrives and distortion pedals sound better. Alkalines don't react quite the same as carbon batteries when they die, hence the advent of Danelectro and others marketing batteries specifically to get that "vintage", dying battery sound.

Rechargables will sound fine so long as they work. But unlike Carbon and Alkaline batteries, rechargables do not ramp down voltage as they die. They run like the wind until... Poof! No power! This is why you should never use rechargables in audio gear. To take full advantage of the rechargable feature you should use them as long as you can, per charge. Doing so puts you at extreme risk of your sound dying in the middle of a set. Alkaline and Carbon batteries give you a long warning in the form of slightly more unwanted distortion as they gradually lose the ability to hold their voltage.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Only batteries that aren't supplying 9V will "sound" different. 9V is 9V. The only possible difference is if a battery can't provide enough current (then the voltage sags). This has nothing to do with the battery itslef.

Well, I beg to differ (though the difference can be mighty fine 'n' subtle, when it happens to be audibly perceptable). Batteries of different materials, just like other capacitors used in, say, tube amps, can make a difference in how the power-supply performs overall.

It will make no difference in some pedals, just a subtle one in others, and a noticable and interesting difference in a few. The difference can be as much in perceived "feel" as in sound.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The whole idea that different types of batteries affect sound is ridiculous.

An underpowered, partially discharged battery may sound different, but who really cares?

"I have a recording session tomorrow. I need to take a new battery, and burn off 2 hours of life so my tone doesn't suck!"

How absurd does that statement look in print?

Sorry, but :freak::freak::freak:

Archived