Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Johnny Marr- opinions?

surgevw

(ex)Guitarist for the Smiths and now on his own (for a while). I like his work, although it certainly isn't in your face or anything. Other opinions?
still a noob!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right on, the guy is tasteful and musical and not cliched at all from my perspective. He plays well and I can't think of any higher compliment. He plays guitar without any of the public masterbation or ego trips. He has no need to show us the limits of his skill, instead he shows us the breadth of his art.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I loved the Smiths. His playing on Heaven Knows I Miserable Now is a real treat.

If you want to hear more great Marr...check out these two great cd's from The The, "Mind Bomb" and "Dusk". He is great on those, lot's of wah!

I saw him live with Matt Johnson on the Mind Bomb Tour... just great.

There is no substitute.

I always hated the Smiths. My best friend in HS was a huge fan and had all the rare imported vinyl (I swear he had over ten different copies of "Meat is Murder"). He was always trying to get me into Marr but I never could get past Morrisey's voice. Still can't stand the Moz.

Marr is a brilliant player though. I liked what he did with Electronic.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

My old HS girlfriend (talking 10 years ago) loved The Smiths. Needless to say, it was in my best interest to like them as well. :) Several months and an ex later, I wound up owning all of their albums.

Funny thing is that I haven't thought about giving those old tapes another listen- until this thread. Pulling out those tapes I now realize that he was a very understated member of the band, upstaged by Morrissey. He seems versatile to my ears, though much more in the background. I can see where musicalhair and Phil made their remarks.

Recently I got together with a lyricist / singer. He had prerecorded some vocal scratch tracks and wondered if I could place appropriate chords and riffs below. Was kinda tricky, because he had a sound already envisioned, but hadn't figrued out how to communnicate that to me. Twas all a process of trial and error until I played something that caught his attention. The entire night I was thinking of what Marr might do.

Sadly I google'd the man looking for info on his playing style (getting more to tab than just chords on songs) and equiptment setup. Can anyone point me in the direction to learn more about Marr's equiptment and style?

Thanks!

Archived