Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp advice to do justice to GodinLG SP90

Renevator

I'm lucky enough to have grabbed a Godin LG90 and Marshall MG15DFX for a bargain £190, but I'm not really impressed with the amp to be honest. I'm on a tight budget, and would like to replace it, so wondered if you guys had any suggestions?

I'm thinking maybe a secondhand Line6 pod, but is there a small amp that'd do justice to that combination, for those times when I want to play without headphones? I'm only playing in the house, so don't need any more volume than the 15W Marshall. My main gripe about the Marshall is the gain channel - seriously noisy, and the digi effects are a bit naff really. If I could get a small, but good sounding amp, no effects, just a nice rich sound, then I figure I could do some quality sound manipulation with the Pod - or am I talking b***xs? As you can tell, I'n new to this guitar thing, but having fun learning though!

Any advice much appreciated.

Rene

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guitarzan

I play in a room with no PC or TV and only a couple of regular tungsten bulbs, so I'm assuming that isn't a problem. The amp is ok on the clean channel, but the gain channel is very noisy. I've heard a noise gate would help, but, as the general quality of sound from the amp is, to my mind a bit harsh & unsophisticated, I'd rather sort it at source.

So is the sound quality from the pod not much cop thru an amp then?

I'm a struggling beginner - studying for grade 3, and mostly bashing out simple blues stuff at the moment, so maybe I'm expecting a higher quality of sound than I'm able to do justice too, but when I've played my guitar thru my teachers seriously expensive line 6 amp (don't know which one but it's massive!) it sounds much warmer & richer. He says he's never really liked Marshall's so I'm thinking maybe another brand would give me the sound I'm after?? trouble is I've no experience of any - maybe I should just cart my guitar into a shop & try everything out?

I would be interested in this as well. My current china-made amp doesn't really cut it on higher gain settings...

A good amp , no need for digital modelling, just one good recordable sound.. any out there for a reasonable price?

Pier.

* Godin Freeway Classic * Seagull M6 * Timothy S10J

Rene and Madstrum-

What sort of sound(s) are you looking for? Describe, and also give some references of known artists/songs/etc. for example(s) of, the kind of tone(s) you'ld most like to get your hands on.

Tube? Solid-state? Modeling? Hybrid? Any preferences, or whatever will deliver the most of what you want for your ca$h?

And- also very important- what's your budget, realistically? What is the really and for-trulio maximus poundage we're talkin' here, Rene?

And, are you comfortable enough with the idea of buying a used amplifier, or must it be new and under warranty?

And where were you on the night of February thirtieth? Huh?

No more questions, if it pleases the court... ;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've got plenty of amps, but my fav for playing my LGSP-90 through is this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/mdog114/bad_cat.jpg

"Never back-up more than you have to"

REAL MEN PLAY TELECASTERS!

Originally posted by mdog114:

I've got plenty of amps, but my fav for playing my LGSP-90 through is this one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/mdog114/bad_cat.jpg

... and if anyone wants to sell one for under $300, I'll take one as well!

I keep hearing good things about the Line 6 solid state amps. I see Myles has one on his best amps page too.

Oh, man, mdog114, yeah!

Vox-type amps are BEAUTIFUL with P-90 "soapbar"-type pickups. Two of the best amps I ever heard my own soapbars through were a very old, "vintage" Vox AC50 head with a 2x12 ("bulldogs"!) cab, and a Matchless (original co.) John Jorgenson sig-model JJ/SC30 1x12 combo. Lush, full, warm, clear, big, bold, "3-D"...

NOT CHEAP. > sniff < > sniff <

Yes.. I agree that Vox amps suit P90s to a T.. I ran my guitar through a AC30 model in guitar rig. Sounds the best to my ears compared to the other amps - a virtual mesa boogie , virtual Marshall, and virtual fender twin.

Anyone tried the AD30VT? It's the only affordable Vox within my reach.

Pier.

Well, our good friend, boutique pedal geek and Vox AC30TB-owner Teahead told me that a Vox Valvetronix amp that he tried did an incredible job at imitating "real" Vox AC30s and AC15s, incredible enough to gig with if he didn't have his own amp!

He also liked the Vox Valvetronix' "Dumble"/"Fuchs"-style models quite a bit, as well as its Fender "tweed" and "blackface" models.

This is a LOT, coming from him...

I've never found the cheaper solid state amps to have a good dirty channel, And I've tried a few.

Right now I have one of the new PEavey backstage combos. Great clean sound, and really loud for 8 watts and a 6 inch speaker.

Anyway, I have a Digitech RP50 that I use for dirty stuff. Works great and only about $50 or $60 USD. A really cheap option for playing around the house.

I just got a Dean EVO with P90's and it sounds great with it.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Rene and Madstrum-

And where were you on the night of February thirtieth? Huh?

No more questions, if it pleases the court... ;):D

...........Eh?.........what did I miss?? :confused:

Ok, sounds:

Well, I've just listened to the TM10 clip - cheers Guitarzan :thu: - and that sounds great!

(Obviously helps if you can play like that though)

It seems to produce the kinda sound I'm after, although when I can actually play to any decent level I'd love to experiment & try to get some original tones like Jeff Beck sorry, just found myself in cloud cuckoo land there for a moment!

If anyone's had the good fortune to hear "Connie Lush & Blues Shouter" play live, their guitar player Johnny has a superb blues sound I'd love to be able to replicate, but I guess what Im after essentially is an amp thatll just give me some rich blues sounds, capable of doing that at low volume too, which is what the TM10 seems to by all accounts. Ive obviously got a long way to go in my understanding of these things, but thanks all for your suggestions and the links to sound clips really helps, cheers!

You want a small, low-wattage tube combo-amp (probably a 1x12 or 1x10). Or a solid-state amp that does a suitable impersonation of one.

As noted, Tech 21's stuff seems to be pretty good.

Fender Blues Junior and Pro Junior might not be bad choices, as well...

There's also the Reverend Goblin.

Several Guitar Forum members have some of each of these amps; do some searches on this forum for "Fender Pro (and/or Blues) Junior", "Jr.", etc.; "Reverend", "Goblin"... you'll dig up some great threads, and a few good real-life owner's mp3 sound-clip examples.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this thread...

I went to my local shop to try a Vox AD30VT... and walked out with one!

For the price, I think the sound is pretty good. Probably the next best thing u can buy before tube amp territory. I like the Tweed amp setting for clean and Vox AC30TB for overdrive.

The onboard effects are nothing to shout about. Only the compressor seems to be really useful. The other effects are good enough to muck around with, but probably not good enough for recording. They are quite tweakable though, and I haven't fully explored them.

The amp models though, sound really good (i compared them with a roland cube 30, and the cube sounded much more digital)

I gotta get rid of that china amp now.

AND!.. I really got to put an end to my purchases. :D

If you try this amp, don't use the presets.. they don't sound good at all. Use manual mode and tweak it to your liking.

Pier.

Archived