Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Dump To Reasons ?

I am inclined to believe that this cannot be done but I thought I would ask anyway. Is it possible for me to use the midi sequences I have already done on my Alesis MT8 in Reasons? In other words is there some way to transfer the midi data from the MT8 to Reasons or to somehow use the sounds in Reasons without having to re-do the sequences I have already completed on the Alesis? Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. The MMT-8 has a jack on the back that is supposed to enable the sequence to be connected/recorded to a cassette tape. I never could understand why Alesis never upgraded this sequencer with a floppy drive. (I know, there is a rack mount version [Datadisk] that does). I still use my MMT-8 but I was also connecting that to a Roland Sound Brush and transferring my sequences that way to a floppy. That is until my SB died! I now have several sequences in my Alesis that I can't get out! I haven't tried connecting it straight to my computer yet [Cakewalk Sonar XL 2.2].
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

You CAN transfer the data. Do it in real time: sync the two together, and transfer the MIDI data over from the MMT-8 to Reason one track at a time. I suggest slowing the tempo down during the transfer to minimize timing slop. Mute the tracks that aren't being transferred. Treat the MMT-8 as if it was a MIDI keyboard feeding Reason's input port.

[quote]Originally posted by lrossmusic: [b]Thanks DWBass, Are you saying that if I can get my midi data on a floppy or somehow into a computer that I may then be able to use the data in Reasons ?[/b][/quote]Yes. Again, I have not tried connecting my MMT-8 directly to my computer yet but I need to try it because I like recording my sequences on the MMT-8 as opposed to using Sonar on the computer. It's faster for me. I'm hoping, I can transfer the entire sequence at one time as opposed to one track at a time as stated in the above post. I don't use Reason, so I don't know how it works. Sonar XL 2.2 is my weapon of choice.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

[quote] [b]...and transfer the MIDI data over from the MMT-8 to Reason one track at a time[/b] [/quote]Craig, What if a track has the the merged data of more than one midi channel ? Will I need to unmerge the midi channels so that only one midi channel per track at a time will be transferred to Reason ? Thanks Thanks for the link DWbass.

Not sure...it's been a long time since I've used the MMT-8. If you can unmerge, fine. But maybe there's a MIDI filter or something to allow only one channel to get through? Or maybe you can delete all the data except for one channel within Reason?

Archived