Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I was thinkin' of buyin' a Les Paul...

PBBPaul

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Les Pauls. I own 2 of them. Obviously, at least 10 other people liked that one.

But if I was buying anything like that, I'd be buying it from a dealer or broker.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Mine is a 52, and yes it originally had the wraparound bridge/trapeze tailpiece. By '55 they had discontinued that. Les Paul specified a stop tailpiece in the design originally anyway, but for whatever reason they screwed it up... I think it was because they got the arch wrong too.

Originally posted by Darklava:

No you must of ment PRS Lee.. :P I knew it

wasn't true he hates Gibson guitars. :mad:

Who hates Gibsons? I own 2 of them and my '65 ES 330 is my all time fave.

I don't have a Les Paul yet though and certainly not a beautiful '52 like Lee.

Forget that one and buy mine :D

It's on the block again and I've got to get this out of the house this time.

1952 Stripped L.P.

It'll sound the same as the $20,000+ thing without punching a hole in your bank account.

AND... you know where the damn thing came from! What's that worth to ya! :thu:

Bridge stuff... '52 trapeze, '53 stud bridge wrap around, '55 tune-a-matic.

Sorry for the shameless self promotion but I couldn't resist with the similarities this posed.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

My brother in law, who doesn't play, got a new LP Standard in 1982 as a graduation gift from his Dad and hasn't touched it since. Everytime I see him, I tell him that I'd better have first crack at buying it.

He's not interested in playing OR selling.

It drives me NUTS!!!!!!!!!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Who the hell would have something as fragile and expensive like a 55 goldtop shipped? If I'd buy a guitar for 20 grand, I'd drive/fly to pick it up, even if I would live overseas. The risk of something happening to it while in the hands of UPS/Fedex is just too big.
"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

My brother in law, who doesn't play, got a new LP Standard in 1982 as a graduation gift from his Dad and hasn't touched it since. Everytime I see him, I tell him that I'd better have first crack at buying it.

Unbelievable!

Maybe he's saving it for his grandkids?

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Somebody want to clue me in as to why you would keep a guitar (or any instrument for that matter) that you never play or intend to play?!? Just makes no sense to me. I guess it's like any other "thing" that you acquire but never use, but if somebody offers to buy it....geez, sell it and free up the space!!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

It came from his Dad, so it's special to him that way. He KNOWS he SHOULD sell it, but he can't bring himself to do it. Ya know,... graduation gift... the Dad giving it...

Still, I wanna choke him! Someday, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Zweite Version:

Who the hell would have something as fragile and expensive like a 55 goldtop shipped? If I'd buy a guitar for 20 grand, I'd drive/fly to pick it up, even if I would live overseas. The risk of something happening to it while in the hands of UPS/Fedex is just too big.

It's all relative to your situation.

If I were to buy a $20k guitar on Ebay (I've bid near that much for guitars before) I know that I'm selecting the shipping method and fully insuring the item for everything I have invested.

When you're in doubt, contact a local music store near the owner's location and have them act as a shipping agent for the seller. Typically they'll know just what to do to ensure it gets safely into your hands.

At $20k that guitar is no longer a deal to anyone who wins the auction so they'd better love playing it.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Well the guy has pulled the auction, check it out. Apparently he either no longer wants to sell the guitar or was getting sick of the threats on his life :eek: and other headaches... see the comments at the bottom of the listing!

A local dealer has a new, never been used, all the tags and plastic still on it, 1985 LP Custom in Alpine White. Was that part of the Norlin years? Anyway, he's mighty proud of it. He wants $3500. Odd thing, he is our local Fender dealer. We don't have a Gibson dealer locally. In fact, we don't have one in the State. I guess they make too many demands on the retailers. That LP shore do look nice tho.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Well the guy has pulled the auction, check it out. Apparently he either no longer wants to sell the guitar or was getting sick of the threats on his life :eek: and other headaches... see the comments at the bottom of the listing!

The stupidity never fails to amaze me. I feel sorry for this guy.

Archived