Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Care and feeding of a 12-string

Noodlesbad

I just bought myself a used Takamine (a G-335 -- pictures when they become available, of course :D ). It's my first acoustic and 12-string, so it's a somewhat unfamiliar beast.

For starters, where do you plug in the cable for the amplifier? :confused::freak:

All kidding aside, I was hoping that someone here might be able to give me advice on its care and feeding.

I've already bought a humidifier and my winder has a slot to help remove recalcitrant bridge pins, but is there anything else you can tell a newbie?

Since I plan to tune down a step to save stress on the neck, I also want to ask, can anyone recommend a good tuner that can handle D G C F A D? My 15-year-old Seiko's strictly standard ...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get yerself one of the new Boss TU something-or-other tuners. They're fully chromatic and can handle stuff like open G, dropped D etc. They light up in the dark too - very handy on stage.

I keep my 12 string in normal concert pitch. They're built to take the extra stress.

I am a humidity nut. I know you can have TOO much humidity but it has never happened to me. I love humidity and I think it adds alot to a guitar. I also tune my 12 string down to E flat because I think it plays and sounds better. Leo Kottke tunes down to D and he also uses very heavy gauged strings. The result is a HUGE tone with alot of resonance. I recommend using 'Planet Waves' to keep it humidified in the case. It fits into the center hole between the strings. I don't know what kind of weather you are facing, but here in MI it is very dry during the winter. I keep my guitar in the case most of the time if I am not playing it.

Originally posted by zachg:

if you're tunning down, i'd pick up One Of These Capos(link)

i own one and love it. it works great for 12 string acoustics, but is also perfect for 6 string acoustics.

I have a very similar model for my six-string electrics, and quite like it. I also got the Kyser humidifier. We have very dry winters here in Ottawa.

Archived