Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm getting my Classical fixed!

Dylan

Back in my youth I was heavy into playing Classical/Spanish guitar and was lucky enough to stumble across a great deal on a handmade guitar. It was built by a guy that was doing an apprenticeship with guitar making master Jeff Elliott , who just happens to live here in Portland, OR. It was built in 1976 and it sat idle for just about the entire time until I bought it about 12 years ago. As things turned out, I ended up focusing more on electric guitar years later and I stored the guitar away for several years while I was away at school. At some point I must have had too much water in the humidifier, because some water damage had occurred inside the body and as result of that some of the glue lost its seal on the back binding of the guitar.

Fast forward to last weekend. I took the guitar in to Jeffs workshop and he gave the entire thing an in-depth look over. The good news is that there is no structural damage to the guitar and hell be able to restore it 100%! Hes also going to do an entire fret dressing and build a new nut (huh, huh, I said nut) to make the string spacing a bit easier on me. As you can imagine this wont be the cheap, but it should be well worth it. Ive felt terrible about having such an awesome guitar thats going unplayed and is unplayable, but I really havent had the extra money or desire available to repair it until recently. Ive been out of the classical scene for so long that I dont know whats new. Im totally stoked to get back into playing it. Are there any hot new players out or pieces of work being written that I should know about? Ill be sure to post some photos once I get her back in my hands!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ottmar Liebert. Strunz and Farrah. Jose Feliciano. Not new but awesome.

I bought a Raimundo Spanish-made classical guitar in a pawn shop for 40 bucks a few years ago, turns out to be worth much more than that. :D I love playing nylon-string guitar. To me it's quintessential guitarness, in some ways I feel I can express myself better on it than any other type. Weird, huh?

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived