Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! Wah Crisis

Shannon

Ok I know there have been lots of threads regarding wah's in the past but I'm looking for a more specific answer so please help me out. I finally decided to go for it and get a wah. I want a Vox... don't know why, I don't have any real wah experience but from what I've heard... it's what I want. I really don't need to spend a lot of money. I was thinking of buying a Vox V847 on ebay, cheap as I could get one, and cross my fingers. I hear that the Clyde McCoy is much more worth the money, but there is only one on ebay close to my price range and of course its still more than I was originally planning on spending. I don't ever have time to go to the local music stores (two jobs) so trying them out is pretty much out of the question... plus they probably don't have them around here anyway. Thoughts?... suggestions?... help?!

Oh and I was considering this one already and the bidding is almost over

ebay- Vox V847

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vox wah, Crybaby...they are fine but they have drawbacks. They can suck the tone out of your guitar if you use them in conjunction with other pedals.

I recently bought a cry-baby. I liked it all right, but a couple of things bug me. The power adapter is different than ALL other pedals (the normal adapter won't power it, the plug itself is the problem) but I don't know about vox.

I think they overexpensive. I bought a CHEAPER pedal you might take a look at...the Ibanez WD-7 "Weeping Demon". At least here where I live it is cheaper than Vox or Dunlop. Cool features are, it has several controls, that can be recessed so you don't accidentally change them once you get them how you want. The pedal has two modes, one of them you hit a switch on the side (ANOTHER cool feature, unlike the Vox and Dunlop which because of the mechanics of the switch you can only turn it on with the absolute most treble..ie. the pedal "floored") and wherever the pedal is in it's travel it turns on the wah. You can turn it on at it's bassiest or in the middle somewhere. The other mode automatically turns it on when you start moving the pedal (in this mode the pedal is always at rest rocked back in the bass position). Both work great. Also you can puck the output level...which means use it to boost a little for leads or keep it the same or whatever you want. Also you can adjust how much WAH you get, which means you can simulate the Vox or Crybaby. It also allows other adjustments.

You can adjust the range of bass-treble you want to affect, you can adjust the intensity of the wah effect.

In short, it is the most adjustable pedal I've seen in a long while, especially for a wah!

But I still like the cry-baby because it is simple.

If I were you, I'd try them out in a store and then decide.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Ok nevermind... I appreciate the advice but I went ahead and got the V847, since I got a good deal on it and I won't be able to try anything out any time soon. With the money I saved by going with it instead of the McCoy, I might check into a 4-track recorder. ;) If the V847 doesn't work out I'll just resell it. I'm excited, I'll let you guys know how it sounds when it arrives. :D

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

I bought a CHEAPER pedal you might take a look at...the Ibanez WD-7 "Weeping Demon". At least here where I live it is cheaper than Vox or Dunlop.

Hmmm...just checked Musician's Friend...and they sell it for $100...which is about the same as the Vox or the Dunlop 535Q.

I see a lot of good reviews for the Ibanez. at Musician's Friend...with just 2 people that really hated it.

I still haven't pickup a Wah for my studio...and I was thinking about the Dunlop 535Q because you can fine tune it, and the price is OK...

...but now I may think about the Ibanez a bit more.

I just want something that has a lot of different flavors for the studio...though I see that a couple of people mentioned that the Ibanez kinda' sucks in the high frets...???

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I saw "Wah crisis" and instantly thought of my son having a "terrible two" moment last night :D

Nonetheless, I have a Crybaby, which I loved, until the pot crapped out, and I had it replaced, and the new pot apparently is not to spec. :mad:

A wah is an active tone control connected to a foot treadle for ease of use while your hands are busy twanging. The pots are available similar to the EQ pots you would find on a mixing console, in terms of range affected, and range of sweep. Dial up Bluestrat, and he can probably explain that if you like the feel of the pedal, you can replace the pot with whatever "flavor" you want - wide, narrow, hi-band, lo-band.

Here\'s my crybaby in action, live on stage in 1993!

Archived