Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are drums fun to play?

Shoes

Are drums fun to play?

I don't know how often you get behind a set and thump away, I have a small set at home that my son uses and work out from time to time.

Today I took up an offer by another hockey dad to drop by and check out his drums. Well if you can picture a 10' x 10' room so completely filled with percussion instruments that you can make it from the door to the throne and then you're encircled by things of all dimension. A full hi end Yamaha kit with no less than three snares, blocks, bells, chimes, native drums and percussive devices and when you turned around there was a full digital set complete with his own mixer, monitor and the control surface for programming....

I could have spent an entire day just exploring the possibilities. :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love playing the drums. My wife is always complaining because I "tap". I always seem to be subconsciously working out beats in my head and tapping them out on tables, chairs, walls etc. Drives her nuts but I can't help it. Sitting at a drum kit and playing for a few hours really lets me explore complex beats and helps get it out of my system (at least for a while). It's very cleansing for me.

I was a drummer for many years, only playing guitar for my oen enjoyment. I let the drums go a long time ago, and I really suck at them now. But that does not make them any less fun to bash away upon.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Drums are incredibly fun. I play mostly guitar these days, but I still consider myself a drummer. Don't get me wrong - I love playing the guitar, but getting behind my kit and locking into a groove sends me to another plane. Also, like A String Of Lights, I'm always tapping on something. Co-workers have repeatedly commented on it and if I had a dollar for every time my wife said "Don't drum while you drive!", I'd be a very rich man.

P.S.

500!!!

Originally posted by A String Of Lights:

I love playing the drums. My wife is always complaining because I "tap". I always seem to be subconsciously working out beats in my head and tapping them out on tables, chairs, walls etc. Drives her nuts but I can't help it...

:eek: I have the same habit. (Er.. problem, if you ask my wife. :freak: )

I don't play drums, per se, but I enjoy trying.

I think drums and percussion, along with voice, are the most primal of instruments. It's so natural for babies to hit things, and most all of us likes clapping our hands or stamping our feet, even those who do not play instruments or sing.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

We finally got a studio kit recently. Here\'s a link to a thread bout that, and some pictures

Yes, they're fun to play... and I try to bash away for a bit every day... but you can't take them to the beach and sit around the campfire and play with them easily like you can with an acoustic guitar. :)

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Yes, they're fun to play... and I try to bash away for a bit every day... but you can't take them to the beach and sit around the campfire and play with them easily like you can with an acoustic guitar. :)

That's what hand drums are for. :)

Personally, I find that drummers are fun to play with. :D

Most of my guitar ideas come from drum linesimagining grooves and then coming up with note ideas based on those grooves.

Naturally, I love messing with drums.

My drummer says I have good instancts but bad technical skills. Which is probably a nice way saying, "Dude.. get the fuck away from my drums."

I sing a lot of drum lines to him, which helps us both with our rhythmic phrasing.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Drums are my main axe (I get the most calls for gigs/sessions as a drummer) although I now spend most of my practise time on keys & guitar (about 10% of my gigs are as a keyboardist/guitarist).

Drums provide a more immediate satisfaction (almost anyone can learn a few basic beats rather quickly). I've always thought that drums are so primitive and primal (likely the very 1st instrument) that they speak to the soul more than other instruments.

Let's face it, how cool is an instrument that you get to beat the crap out of!!!

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I've got a little collection of percussion toys going too. Claves, shakers, tambourines, triangle, sleigh bells, etc. No cowbell yet though - I'll have to correct that one... gotta have more cowbell. ;) I should also puick up some hand drums too. Any of those make good travelling companions for drummers / percussionists.

Aaah, the "double entendre of the day" award winner! :D

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Hmmm.. I think she's gonna make a drummer out of me :D

... with my luck I'll just end up dummer :freak:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived