Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Globalization of Metal

revolead

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

If you like the Ozzy Sabbath era, check these out for sure...

Judas Priest "Rocka Rolla"

Judas Priest "Sad Wings Of Destiny"

I think anything pre-Point Of Entry is classic. Most of the pre-point of entry stuff is lacking the cheese that became more apparent in the later releases. "Sad Wings of Destiny" is every bit as good as Sabbath's "Master Of Reality".

And judiging by some of the classic rock you mentioned, I think you'd probably get into some hair metal. Just the early stuff.

Twisted Sister "Stay Hungry"

Motley Crue "Too Fast For Love" & "Shout At The Devil"

Ratt "Out Of The Cellar"

Dokken "Tooth and Nail"

There's more, but I think these are the best of that era.

And I'm not really going to enjoy mentioning it (considering their fall from grace)...

Metallica "Kill 'Em All" -just about as classic as it gets, it terms of pre-thrash heaviness..."Ride The Lightning", "Master Of Puppets", & "And Justice For All" take it to the next level.

The album that redefined the entire metal scene and is considered by most to be the metal abum of all time...

Slayer "Reign In Blood". This might be the most blistering slab of metal ever laid down and is the standard by which most metal albums that follow it are judged. Beware, this album is not for the average rock fan. It is thrash incarnate.

And most of my specialized metal knowledge revolves around thrash and it's various offshoots.

If you get into Slayer, then you need to check out these...

Dark Angel- "Time Does Not Heal"

Celtic Frost- "Morbid Tales", "Into The Pandemonium"

Anthrax- Imo, everything up to and including "State Of Euphoria" is mandatory.

Flotsam and Jetsam- My favorites are "No Place For Disgrace" and "When The Storm Comes Down"....the rest is good and these guys haven't put out a bad record...the last couple of releases are real good.

Testament-"The New Order", 'Practice What You Preach"....one of the classier thrash acts to come out of the bay area.

Scared Reich-"The American Way", "Surf Nicuragua"

Overkill- "The Years of Decay", "Horrorscope", "I Hear Black"

Sepultura- "Beneath The Remains", "Arise"

Possessed- "The Eyes Of Horror"

Obituary- "Slowly We Rot", "Cause Of Death", "The End Complete"

S.O.D.- "Speak English or Die" -the seminal crossover album

D.R.I.-everything...one of my favs

Hallow's Eve- "Monument" ...another personal favorite

Trouble-one of the best Sabbath influenced bands ever...anything up to and including the self-titled are mandatory

Slayer-almost everything released

Hey guys, what am I forgetting? I know I missed some classics...

Other heavy stuff that isn't exactly metal, but still kicks ass....

Anything by Kyuss!!!!!!!!!

Clutch has a boatload of killer shit

Helmet "Meantime" -absolutley mandatory

The list goes on and on and I'm gonna let some of these other guys fill in the gaps...

And if you desire for another level of heaviness after thrash, let me know...I'll start listing more shit...like Napalm Death, my all time favorite metal band

(I've noticed that all my favorite bands started out hardcore and then crossed over :) )

• 10 months later...
Originally posted by revolead:

Thought you guys might like to read this. It's an essay I wrote for journalism class on globalization.

I'm amazed that your concept of globalization doesn't seem to include the huge metal scenes in Scandinavia and, except for a quick nod to Germany there's not much mention of the rest of the world.

So what's this "global camaraderie" all about if it only involves two countries' bands while they tour? Surely, there must be more to it than that? The "global" popularity of metal implies that there must be a large, worldwide metal scene as well, and that is hardly mentioned. Where is the mention of metalheads in (say) Brazil? Or Singapore?

Your article also left me feeling a bit dissatisfied as a reader.

You discuss the popularity of metal, but there's not much of an attempt at explaining why people should like "power chords and consonance" over "open chords and alliteration" or whatever else could hypothetically be on offer.

In other words, as a reader, I still don't understand why a bunch of people I've never met should be into these power chords. Or into that consonance. You've made me curious but I still feel like the surface has barely been scratched.

Finally, I'm really not sure about these huge crowds of metal fans that travel enough to actually recognize each other in the mosh pits. "Hey, didn't we meet last week in Tokyo?" "Hey, let's do lunch next month in Rio!", etc.

Unless every Iron Maiden album purchased comes with a couple of million dollars as a free gift, I don't see how that could be possible. :D

Archived