Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm feelin' mighty blue ...

Noodlesbad

But only because I can't post sound clips. :)

Just like Guitarzan, I've been hunting around for a Traynor amp as well -- but I went and bought the limited edition EL34-equipped 50-watt YCV amp that was discussed in Guitarzan\'s brain-picking thread. (by the way, thanks for mentioning it rockincyanblues).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/noodlesbad/traynor1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/noodlesbad/traynor2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/noodlesbad/traynor3.jpg

That master volume is darn handy for the apartment. Of course, my downstairs neighbour banged on her ceiling anyway ... I swear it was only 9 p.m. :rolleyes:

I hope all you other amp-hunters are enjoying yours as much as I am. My first time with a tube amp, and -- not to slight my solid-state Fender, which was nice enough -- I can really tell the difference. :thu:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

I want one!

Traynors... :D . Traynors were a rite of passage where I came from. Everyone who plays had a Traynor in their past. :thu: I want another one! Or two...but who's greedy...?

And at $770 Canadian (about $645 US) you probably could get two for the price of one of many other brands of tube amps ... course up here in Ontario we have to pay an 8% sales tax to the province and another 7% to the feds, so that adds another $100 Canadian ... :mad: I could have bought a pair of Smokeys for that ...

Originally posted by greenboy:

Yorkeville rules! They've got some great stuff in almost any category!

I was shooting the breeze earlier today with a guy who plays both guitar and bass who is thinking of buying one of their bass amps. He said he found their stuff under 30 watts too quite for bass (he found he had to turn it the one he was using up to the point it was sounding "farty"), but when you crank it up apparently it's great for guitar ... I'll have to check it out for myself some day.

I was actually quite tempted by their 15 watt tube amps (I like the fact they have two channels for one thing) ... but for $170 more I figured, why not go for a bigger combo?

apparently they only made 100 of the 50 watt EL 34 jobs like you have just bought. i didn't realise but Pete Traynor used to be a repair guy at L&M. it wouldn't suprise me if they eventually make that a regular part of the line up.

nice amp Noodles!!!!i am jealous.

hey Tedster sweet avatar.

What kind of rehearsals. 30 watts is plenty for a guitarist. But 100 for a bassists will barely keep up with that - let alone with a drummer. Think 300 and you begin to get to the point where the bass players doesn't have to pummel to be heard above the masking of distortion and cymbals and beating.

You can tell I'm talking rock ; }

Obviously earlier bass rigs were warmed over guitar amps. No great satisfaction is to be had in a band context actually using such head or combos, unless driving multiples of them, with really big horn loaded bass bins ; }

Archived