Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

why aren't p90s everywhere?

Reverse the Curse

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had an old Les Paul Jr. since 1976. I always loved the tone, but I can't tell you how many people told me I needed to replace the P90 with a humbucker. Nowadays people have a very different attitude...

drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Wolfzane,

Chris Kinman just experiments a gazillion times 'til he thinks he has it totally nailed. He did the same thing with all his other pickups. This perfectionism - and his killer ears - are not the only patience builder. He also has to run his operation, which is fairly small. And like some of the other perfectionists I believe he builds some of the machines they use there to do the work. Same with Bill Lawrence.

Originally posted by chedrob:

...Recently I have had the pleasure of using a friend's ES-295 reissue (1993 I believe) in my studio and for some live stuff. This guitar sounds absolutely wonderful through an old Princeton Reverb with a Jensen Alnico speaker.

:freak: ) special. :)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• 1 year later...
What about Seymour Duncan's 'Stacked' P-90? It claims to sound like the real thing with a slightly higher output and a bit more midrange (acceptable, no?) plus reduced noise, plus working well in "split/series/parallel" modes. Would it sound just like a true P-90 in single coil mode? How does it really compare to a true P90?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Originally posted by AeroGeek:

What about Seymour Duncan's 'Stacked' P-90? It claims to sound like the real thing with a slightly higher output and a bit more midrange (acceptable, no?) plus reduced noise, plus working well in "split/series/parallel" modes. Would it sound just like a true P-90 in single coil mode? How does it really compare to a true P90?

Well, I don't know about SD's, but Gibson's stacked-humbucking P-90 stylees that I've tried weren't quite right, to say the least...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My Delta 6 (think that is the US name for it, over here its called a TBS-800) has a P90 'style' pickup. I really love the tones I can get out of it, with a tiny bit of piezo blended in with it you get a pretty funky REALLY fat sound... But does anybody know what the difference in sound is gonna be between a P90 'style' pickup and a real P90?

Well, you can't entirely define what a "real" P-90 is or sounds like, 'cause you'd have to decide if it's the sound of an ooold original from the late '40s or '50s that's aged and lost some magnet strength (sparkly and real purty), a late '50s/early '60s specimen that's still got some magnetic-strength and might be wound slightly hotter, a still later '60s or '70s example, (maybe ceramic magnets? maybe the original alnico?), or the later offerings from Gibson that have much larger pole-piece screws...

Some are hotter and fatter, some brighter and more sparkly; all have a sort of a single-coil-on-steroids/compressed and boosted sound, more full-frequency, very round in the attack and envelope-decay...

I'd say that, if you can get a sound somewhat similar to that of your favorite example of classic "dogear" or "soapbar" sound (Chuck Berry? Eeeeaaarly Freddy King? Leslie West? Pete Townshend? George Thoroughgood? Lee Flier? Early Michael Bloomfield? George, Paul, and/or John?), then you've got a good P-90 stylee on your hands.

I'm always drawn to any P-90 equipped axes hangin' in guitar-shops, so I've tried out quite a few, quite a wide variety of vintages and variations.

I own a '97 Les Paul "Ruby" with stock soapbars, of the slightly hot/bigger pole-piece variety. And a friend up the hill from me has an original 1952 Les Paul "gold-top" with the original pickups; small pole-piece screws, weakened old alnico magnets, set waaay low with the pole-screws waaay high; absolutely beautiful sparkly, shimmery, harmonic-overtones-swirling tone, sheer gossamer moonlight when played fingerstyle through my old '67 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12...

I still sigh over a pristine cherry-red mahogany 1960 Les Paul Special that I could've actually afforded at the time; fat and saucey and squeally on the high-notes, low-keys-onna-grand-piano lows. What the Hell was wrong with me, that I didn't slap some money down onnitt??!!?!!?? :rolleyes::cry:

Archived