Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

jmp combo

rzooff

At first hello to all! I'm a new member here!

My english isn't perfect... so forgive me mistakes that I'll surely make (or made jet) ;)

I've just bought old ('78) Marshall combo. Specs: jmp, master model, 50W, 2x12 (greenback).

It's quite rare amp ant I can't find comprehensive info.

Does anybody used / seen something like this?

I gas it is model 2104 - but I'm not sure...

Thanks for any help!

rzooff

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rzooff:

My english isn't perfect... so forgive me mistakes that I'll surely make (or made jet) ;)

I've just bought old ('78) Marshall combo. Specs: jmp, master model, 50W, 2x12 (greenback).

Thanks for any help!

Welcome rzooff! You have found the right place. I have very little knowledge of amps, but many people here do. I'm sure they will answer your questions. You might try the search feature to see if there have been other discussions regarding your particular equipment. Later. S. :wave:

Originally posted by rzooff:

Thanks for any help!

Welcome abord. What do you want to know about the amp?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks for replies!!!

I heard about idea of changing Marshall "master model" amps into "non-master volume". Does it really have sense and improve a sound?

The second thing - speakers. What kind of them were orginally installed in these amps?

Is it model 2104? - there is no info about it on chasis...

rzooff

Better tone is a very subjective matter; what sounds good to one guy may sound awful to another. My guess is that turning a master volume Marshall into a non-master volume model would make it necessary to turn the amp up to get distortion, and then it would come from the power tube section of the amp rather than the pre-amp. Power tube distortion is sweeter than pre-amp distortion, but you have to really push the amp to get it, and with a 50 watt Marshall you might have top play louder than you want in a lot of circumstances. Also, you can get pretty much the same effect by running the pre-amp a little lower and turning the master volume up. SO, I wouldn't think you'd gain near as much as you would lose by changing it over.

GO to this link and post your technical questions. I am pretty sure that if Myles doesn't know the answers, he can tell you who does.

Boa sorte!(I had to look up how to say that...)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived