Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best electric guitar for less than $300?

Beatnik

Originally posted by blues&swing:

Dave, if solid bodies are better than (semi)hollow bodies why John McLaughlin, Alvin Lee, BB King, Joe Pass, Hollywood Fats, Leo Kottke, etc. does/did not use just solid body guitars? I know it is matter of style and taste, LOL!!!

I meant that a $300 solid body electric was more likely to be a better guitar than a $300 semi-hollow guitar, imho. I love semi-hollows :cry:

Hey anyone, how do I put a link site in but make it look like a different name? i.e. http://www.samickguitar.com/electric.html = Samick Formula

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the UBB tags that are shown to begin and close an url, you will see them as [ url ] (without spaces)

Simply put an "=" sign before the end of the open tag, and the words you want to use to name the like inbetween the complete tag set.

This is how it looks (without the spaces in the tags though)

[ url=www.google.com]this is my google link[/url ]

looks like this is my google link if done correctly

:)

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Those Agiles sure look worth looking into. Too many people have sung their praises here on this forum for them to be junky playing or sounding guitars, and they certainly LOOK good. If I was in the market for a sub $300 guitar, I'd certainly consider trying one.

The Epi Les Paul 100's are not a set neck guitar... and while it may LOOK like a Les Paul, they are not going to sound like one when they're built with a bolt on neck. Don't get me wrong - I like some of the Epi's, and I even own a Epi limited edition (trans red flametop) Les Paul... but you really have to get into the $500 range to get an acceptably good Les Paul style Epiphone guitar IMO. They do have an SG style with a set neck (the G-400) which looks like a pretty darn cool guitar... there is a guy on Ebay selling a used one with the case for $225... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33037&item=3753353018&rd=1

I think they sell new ones for around $400. Anyway, that would also be a good guitar to consider if you're looking for something inexpensive but with good build quality and sound and humbuckers.

Fernandes Rerorocket X- $200ish - A basic stratish guitar. They have the most consistant all around quality that I've ever seen.And I have played probably about 100 of them over the past 4 years or so. Even the fretwork. Haven't played a bad one yet.

Tradition Guitars are rediculous for the money.

Micheal Kelly Elecrics are a bit over $300,but are very well made.

I'd also like to second the Washburn Idol. And If you can find any Japanese Fenders or Squiers for around $300,jump on it.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by blues&swing:

Dave, if solid bodies are better than (semi)hollow bodies why John McLaughlin, Alvin Lee, BB King, Joe Pass, Hollywood Fats, Leo Kottke, etc. does/did not use just solid body guitars? I know it is matter of style and taste, LOL!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant that a $300 solid body electric was more likely to be a better guitar than a $300 semi-hollow guitar, imho. I love semi-hollows , just that it seems to require more time (and money) to build a decent one.

I was just savin' words. Sorry for the confusion

OK -- I see what do you mean, no problem whatsoever. On the other words, I guess, it is cheaper to build solid body than a semi-hollow or hollow body -- I fully agree with you. Tks for the clarification. Those two $150 - $200 semi & hollow bodies I currently have are actually good gig-worthy, easily playable guitars that sound just fine, even for an old experienced fart, as I am.

Archived