Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound advice

maketin

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of any websites that have advice of how to get close to the famous guitar sounds of for example Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Robin Trower, Jimmy Page etc. I wonder that in the www-world there must be a forum for the basics like what equipment these players use! Of course I can tell if one uses a strat or a les paul, but it´s not so easy to hear what effects they use! I know it´s all in a players fingers and touch, but any information of the gear would be most helpful! Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live they might use one thing, while in the studio it is something else entirely and it is also mitigated by the engineers choice of mic, pre, comp, and effects, plus whatever happens on mix down and at mastering.

Meanwhile, you also have to account for what they 'say' they use because of endorsement deals, and what they actually use.

(I still remember the photos of Pete Townsend endorsing Sunn, with the stacksof HiWatts clearly visible towering over the Sunn cabs that were thrown up in front of the HiWatts for the photo op. These pictures appeared, not only in ads, but in the Sunn catalog.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by maketin:

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of any websites that have advice of how to get close to the famous guitar sounds of for example Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Robin Trower, Jimmy Page etc. I wonder that in the www-world there must be a forum for the basics like what equipment these players use! Of course I can tell if one uses a strat or a les paul, but it´s not so easy to hear what effects they use! I know it´s all in a players fingers and touch, but any information of the gear would be most helpful! Thanks!

Check this website

GuitarGeek

Bunch of stuff in there ... who knows how accurate the info is but it's better than nothing. S.

Archived