Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ernie Ball's demise

guit-it

It was with great sorrow that I read of the passing of Ernie Ball. I hate to give away my age but my older brother and I used to order his fine slinky strings by direct mail before they were generally available to the public.

I have played every brand of string on the market for the last 20+ years and although they didn't have the best tone out of the pack, when you tour on a shoe string budget, you want the tone to last all night! America has lost another great entrepreneur...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the first strings I remember buying were Balls. I believe he had a direct impact on the proliferation of lighter-gauge string-sets (especially with ball-ends, not banjo-"hooks", and plain 3rd/"G"-strings) being available to the guitarist.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ernie Ball built a corporation like no other. I bought a guitar from them over a year ago, and spoke to a builder on the phone for about a half hour, just talking about the guitar. Try that with Fender or Gibson. The guitar had to be sent back in for some minor paint flaws, and of the four days they had it in their shop, they called me twice to just give me a status report on my baby. When it was returned, the case was full of stickers, strings, accessories, and a t-shirt. I'm sure Ernie Ball was proud of the company he built. They certianly have earned my life-long loyalty through their customer service and superior products.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived