Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

computer batteries; not the portable kind - the desktop variety

next to my g3/400 up'ed 8600 w/224mb ram i have a lowly 66mghz 486 running windows 95. this windows computer interfaces with my lexicon processor, providing onscreen programming. awesome! the problem is if i shut the computer off, even for a few minutes, it will lose it's bios settings and fail at boot as well as lose the clock setting. i think this is because the battery is dead (that itty-bitty battery on the MB) if i leave the machine on for a few days will it charge the old battery? or do i have to spend money on this old peice of junk? the ONLY thin it does is talk to the lexicon. all other aspects of windows have been removed so dont tell me to get a new computer [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it will not charge the battery. Once it's dead, it's dead. Go to any computer store and explain the problem. They will sell you a part that holds 4 AA batteries that you can plug into your motherboard that will take the place of the internal battery. It costs around $5.00, and it will retain the power for the CMOS settings. The prongs you plug this into are generally set right near the lithium internal battery. IIRC, it's 4 little prongs pointing up from the momboard. It would be a good thing to check the manual for the momboard if you have it. Sometimes (especially on older PCs) there's a BIOS setting you have to change from "Internal Battery" to "External Battery." Don't worry about rebooting your computer this way. The CMOS settings capacitor takes about 4 minutes to totally discharge, and you shouldn't lose anything.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I replaced the battery on an old Mac a few yeas ago. Simple. Pull out the old battery, walk down to Radio Shack, buy a new one, slip it in, close it up, drink a beer. Only a few bucks. Sounds worth it fo ron screen editing. -David R.
-David R.

i pulled the cover off, and found a 3-pack of cell-phone batteries(?) in there connected to where the battery is supposed to go. i left the machine on for almost the entire day today and it rebooted after turning it off for five mnutes..hmmm.. might still replace that battery

Archived