Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got my new Yamaha AES620!!!!!!!!!

ActorJ

My veryf irst guitar ever. Long awaited! Now I just need to learn how to play it, hehe. It's won yet another fan, the guy than sold it to me had never seen one before, he was a devoted Les Paul player, and he could not say enoughb about it. Told me it played like a 1500 dollar guitar.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I have it, wow does it feel good. I am just so happy with it, my hands shake a little when i hold it, which is unhelpful.

But I am seriously a completely beginner, and now I am not sure what I should start with as far as learning goes? It seems like the options are endless.

Congratulations! Count me as both a Les Paul lover, and impressed by that line from Yamaha. Great axes! If they made an all-mahogany version with three "soapbars" (single-coil, P-90 styled pickups), I'd be very seriously considering one!

I'll leave it to those who are more qualified to give you some suggested beginning material to learn and practice...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'll leave it to those who are more qualified to give you some suggested beginning material to learn and practice...
... which would not be me :D

Congrats. Hope you find yourself a new passion :thu:

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

It sure looks nice, Actor. I'm sure it plays great too. Yamaha makes some cool music gear. I banged away for a few years on a Yamaha electric piano. Nothing wrong with their quality.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

hello,

now that I have had some time to play with my new instrument (but no sore fingers yet) i thought I'd post a little more about my buying experience.

I shook when I saw the AES620 again, in gorgeous transparent dark red. I researched my purchase for a long

time. Early on when the bug first hit me, I thought about buying a Squire

Strat pack, or something similar. Then, mostly with the help of people on

various web forums, I started to leanrn more about guitars, and decided I

should spend more money and get something really nice to start. I started

with no bias, and a spending limit of about 750 Canadian dollars. I looked

at everything, and found I was most attracted to Les Pauls and PRS guitars.

I couldn't afford either, but when I came across the Yamaha AES620 online,

it grabbed me right away, I just knew it was right for me, I liked it better

than anything I had seen, even guitars costing 3 times as much. After

reading reviews online, my instincts proved right. I now have one very

beautiful electric guitar. Pictures available online do it no justice, thats

for certain. The frets are perfect, the finish is perfect, the intonation is

perfect. wow. The guy at the guitar store had never seen one, and he could

not get over it, he was drooling, and let it go only reluctantly. He told me

it looked and played like a 1500 dollars instrument. So it looks like I

made the right choice.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/archive/1103/1103_BenchTests10.htm

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AES620-RED.htm

The only thing is I will never know if those original factory strings suck as bad as everyone says. Thre guy and Tom Lee played it when it came in and told me they should be chnaged to 10s right away, so he did it for free. Luckilly the intonation remained perfect, and no truss rod adjustment was needed afterwords, i was a little worried about that....

Originally posted by ActorJ:

Luckilly the intonation remained perfect, and no truss rod adjustment was needed afterwords, i was a little worried about that....

Congrats!! For someone who never played guitar before, you sure know quite a bit. ;)

When I got my first guitar, I didn't even know how to spell intonation, let alone know what it is. Come to think of it, I'm still not sure. :D

Welcome, and you've certainly done the right thing in finding out as much as possible and then buying a decent guitar to start off with (never played one but i will, oh yes i will), i am also new at playing guitar but have been playing bass for many years so i've got a headstart, best thing to do is go to sites like this and learn from them, another good thing to do is set aside 30 minutes a day to practice and you'll be pro in no time. Good luck with it all.

Nic :thu:

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

One thing that is difficult for me is I don't know how to gage my porgress. Obviously I should get some lessons to remedy that, but I wonder if some of you can give me an idea of what type of progress I can reasonably expect, given 30 minutes a day of practice (at least), over the next couple of months.

One thing that is difficult for me is I don't know how to gage my porgress. Obviously I should get some lessons to remedy that, but I wonder if some of you can give me an idea of what type of progress I can reasonably expect, given 30 minutes a day of practice (at least), over the next couple of months.

If you want to progress rapidly and efficiently, you'll need to put in at least an hour a day and get a good instructor. There simply is no substitute for a good teacher, and given the sheer volume of material out there to "learn" from, you'll probably end up distracted and unfocused if you go it alone in the beginning.

Nice guitar, BTW.

i believe its not how long uve been playing, but how much youve played and practice, a few people would say 3 years of playing but actually have little practice time at all making them not as great as you would expect them to be. Well back to the topic what a GREAT AXE you got there! You probably did what alot of us never did when we started and that was research an extensive amount about the guitar until purchasing one, I just went ahead to the store and bought one just because I wanted to play a guitar, but I still play my first guitar once in a while

Beautiful Guitar! Get Guitar Player Mag and get inspired. All types of music. A little story. I started playing when I was nine. Silvertone flattop, Sear catalog, $29. I'll bet there are allot of similar stories out there just like that. From 12 into my twenty's I gigged. Weekends and then full time when I was about 16. I'm now 50. My son-in-law's brothers (2) picked up the guitar because they just thought it was cool, got hooked and in a matter of just a couple of years they're both pretty decent. Get some books and learn your chords and how they all fit together. And learn songs that you like. Learn to read tab. I wish that tab had been around when I was a kid, just learning. Go to Truefire.com and see what they've got for lessons. You can buy them with CD's and tab which makes the learning go fast. Then, don't ever quit learning. Good luck. Read this forum too. These guys are all great.

Tim

All my stuff is here: www.timothychipman.com

i have been spending the last little while trying to find a guitar teacher in my area, but so far no luck. don't really know where to look.

Try a music (esp. Guitar) shop. The non-major ones (i.e. not Sam Ash, Guitar Center) may have a good teacher.
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived