Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help deciding on a new amp!

PeeMonkey

Ok, so my options have come down to three amps.

1. Marshall AVT 275 COMBO

2. Marshall JCM 900 4502 2x12 COMBO (50 Watt)

3. Peavey 5150 Combo 2x12 (60 Watt)

These three amps are within my budget and ive tested them all out already and love all of them. Just a matter of picking one to purchase. What would you guys buy, I think mainly my music is hardrock to metal, but I would also like to have a nice clean channel too.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given your stated wants and needs, and tatstes in guitars and music, I still think you'd be best served by the Peavey 5150. The 2x12 combo even has a closed-back cab design that'll really lend some thunkk to your sound. And the "Resonance"-control lets you tailor that to your personal preferance.

Down the road, you can further enhance and tailor it to your needs simply by carefully choosing replacement tubes for it; Myles Rose will come in real handy then! Myles knows.

I usually don't care for a lot of Peavey gear, but for what it's intended for, I think the 5150 is a pretty good amp!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm going to second the 5150 II for the following reasons:

-It's all-tube (unlike the Marshall AVT).

-It doesn't use silicone diodes to boost the preamp gain (basically a built-in distortion pedal) like the JCM 900.

-The clean sound is way better than on the 5150 heads.

-It's great for rock and metal.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I've been surprised by the sound of the relatively inexpensive AVT amps. For what they are, they're not too bad. Definitely a viable option for those on a tighter budget.

I've never been a big fan of the JCM900's, and greatly prefer the JCM800's.

I've tracked the 5150's countless times, but it's always been Mk I heads. I have not tried the Mk II's or the combos, so this may not be applicable to those amps. But FWIW, I found the 5150's to have a killer distortion channel, but they seemed lacking on the clean channel to me. If you like the clean channel on the 5150 MK II combo, then I'd probably go that route.

Ok, here comes the problem again, Im moving into a apartment and now Im thinking the Peavey 5150 Will blow the apartment sky high because its so loud. I was thinking of doing the egg carton thing in my apartment and getting the 5150, how does the JCM 900 4502 Reverb combo Sound? I heard the JCM 900 were pure crap, but it has a 50 to 25 watt switch on it i think. Hmmm I can get either of the two at around the same price, i think around 550$, is that a good price for used one, and the 4502 i was looking at has vintage 30 celestions in them instead of the g12-75

Honestly, that won't make an appreciable difference in perceived volume levels, especially as your neighbors perceive it... !!

Those kinds of power/output/volume reduction make more of a difference in "feel" and headroom; there is a difference in overall volume, but it's not like drastically turning it down, not by a long shot!

I imagine that the Marshall JCM 900 4502 Reverb combo will still be plenty enough too loud there in your apartment; and- I swear, I'm not a Peavey salesman!- I think that you'll get a fatter, more satisfying overdive/distortion tone out of the 5150 or 5150 II at low master volume settings, than you would from the JCM 900 4502. The 5150 gets much, if not pretty much most, of it's character of tone in the preamp stages, they're just further enhanced when you can really push it.

If you try those two amps out in stores sometime soon, try them out at low master volume/high pre-gain settings, I think you'll agree with me there!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I see, hehe thanks alot caevan, looks like the 5150 it is, now to buy a bunch of egg cartons, is it possible to buy these in bulk? hahaha. Im getting the amp locally for about 500$ is this a great price for it? I saw it and brought my Strat along to test it out and I was amazed at the amp, its like almost brand new too! The guy is a acoustic player and bought it brand new, he hasnt really touched his peavey 5150 also. He asked for 550$ but I told him highest I would go is 500$ so he told me to wait about a week, should I give it the wait period and try to bargain? Or is someone going to steal the deal from me? The drive is about 1 hour away to pick it up, dang that thing is like a tank, its 85 pounds!

there is some good advice here Peemonkey. if you do decide to go avt, get the avt 50, you don't need all the effects and extra crap marshall has put in most of the avt series. go for the meal and skip all the condiments. but saying that i would get the 5150. if you need to play quietly get a V-amp from beringer (good price). this shouldn't mess up your budget.

Archived