Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i've finally done it

Reverse the Curse

I've finally started messin with my guitar. Currently I have an Ibanez AX120. It plays good, although I dont have too much to compare it to. Its heavy metal black (it seemed like a good idea when I bought it :freak: ). The finish was also incredibly thin. It had dents and scratches all over. Sooooooo....

The black is about half gone and it looks horrible right now :thu: . I'm thinkin arctic white, but reeeeeeally shiny.

Im hopin doin some low cost maintenance will hold off the desire to pick up a new axe (at least until my birthday ;) ) Man, seeing it apart like this makes me wanna throw new humbucker or 2 in there.

About the actually finishing, first I sand off all the black, then prime it, then paint it with that paint designed for window sills and trim. Is that right? Then what do I use to seal it and make it shineeey?

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/frogavatar.gif

Hey is that Clarance Carter playing your Strat,

or Johnny Holmes?

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

ahhhhhh, thats good, because my arm is gettin tired.

So I suppose if I have to spray paint, I have to take the neck off huh. What do I need to do to take it off? Also, i noticed when I took off my bridge there was a little wire running to it, is that just a ground?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

ahh i feel dumb. Just forget that last post :thu: . I just ordered everything I will need from reranch (I semi-blackmailed my mom, although I do have paint A LOT of ceilings :( ). If all goes well and it does come out as nice as I hope, I'm planning on using my birthday money to throw a gold SD JB in the bridge and a gold SD jazz master in the neck. Should be a brand new guitar :thu::cool:

One little thing, I have been looking but I can't find a gold bridge. All I need is a simple 6 saddle locked down one with 4 screws in each corner and one in the middle of the back. If anyone sees anything, that would be great.

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys :D;)

Originally posted by Cooper:

ahh i feel dumb. Just forget that last post :thu: . I just ordered everything I will need from reranch (I semi-blackmailed my mom, although I do have paint A LOT of ceilings :( ). If all goes well and it does come out as nice as I hope, I'm planning on using my birthday money to throw a gold SD JB in the bridge and a gold SD jazz master in the neck. Should be a brand new guitar :thu::cool:

One little thing, I have been looking but I can't find a gold bridge. All I need is a simple 6 saddle locked down one with 4 screws in each corner and one in the middle of the back. If anyone sees anything, that would be great.

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys :D;)

Check http://www.allparts.com or http://www.stewmac.com or http://www.warmoth.com

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/twocaraboos/frogavatar.gif

Hey is that Clarance Carter playing your Strat,

or Johnny Holmes?

Actually, that's me before my wife kissed me...The shame of it is, all she wound up with was a case of warts.

ok, dude, that was absolutely uncalled for. Seriously, there are kids around. Next time think before you post something as obscene as that.

;):D:cool::thu:

OK, the finish is off and I have one more coat of sand and sealer to throw on. Now I just need my stuff from reranch to get here :bor:

lol yea, I'm kiddin.

For a sec there I had no idea what you were talkin about ;)

OK, my stuff finally got here :thu:

Following ReRanch's directions to every detail I have put on the sanding sealer, primer, and the first coat of white to perfection. So far it's looking to be a sucess :D

It's not a hard process at all, just very, very time consuming.

Originally posted by Cooper:

I've finally started messin with my guitar. Currently I have an Ibanez AX120. It plays good, although I dont have too much to compare it to. Its heavy metal black (it seemed like a good idea when I bought it :freak: ). The finish was also incredibly thin. It had dents and scratches all over. Sooooooo....

The black is about half gone and it looks horrible right now :thu: . I'm thinkin arctic white, but reeeeeeally shiny.

Im hopin doin some low cost maintenance will hold off the desire to pick up a new axe (at least until my birthday ;) ) Man, seeing it apart like this makes me wanna throw new humbucker or 2 in there.

About the actually finishing, first I sand off all the black, then prime it, then paint it with that paint designed for window sills and trim. Is that right? Then what do I use to seal it and make it shineeey?

Why not leave the paint off and just put some wood protection on? Hows the grain?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

a bit too late for that now :thu:

The grain isn't bad, but shiny arctic white is more appealing.

Alright guys, its about time to think about throwing this thing back together. A couple more days and the painting will be done.

The main thing I have to do that I don't know how is reinstall the pickups. I left the rest of the electronics intact. I have a soldering iron, I just have no idea how to use it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thu:

Archived