Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Strings

Randy Combs

Strings do not get talked about enough on forums, always high end gear talk. But strings are a vital part of one's sound. Different brands do have different tones to them. String gauges matter also. I have found GHS and Ernie Ball strings to be brighter. Dean Markley and Fender and Gibson strings are darker. Vinci and Peavey strings are middle of the road, neither too bright or heavy toned. These are the only brands that I have used since the late 1970's. I first started in the early 70's and used Black Diamond finger killer strings. I play very hard so I use .011-.049 strings. For the last 5 years I have used Fender Original 150's. Just wondering what are experiences y'all have had with strings?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/retrospex/fenderstrings.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tried all those brands and the one you didn't mention has been my favorite. Elixars. I use 10's mostly. Right now I've got a whole box of D'Addario's to go through. Bargain priced at GC. The Buzz Feiten people only use D'Addario. They say that they're the most consistent on quality. I found the Elixar's to play easier, if that's even possible, and the new sound lasts longer than anything I've tried. I almost never break strings anymore, and I thing it's because of the String Saver saddles I use.???Anyway that's my 2 cent.

Tim

All my stuff is here: www.timothychipman.com

I've always used GHS Boomers. I tried EB , PEavey, and Fender strings and didn't like them as much. The GHS seem to be really consistent and last forever.

My wife bought me a pack of Dean Markley Blue Steel this week. I just put them on so I'm not sure how they are. Haven't played them enough yet.

For acoustic I use Martin strings. I recently found D'Arco strings which are made by Martin, but are cheaper. They seem to be just as good to my ear.

D'Addario .010s on my electrics (home-brew Strat & Gretsch Tennessean), D'Addario half-round softs on my P-Bass, Elixir light gauge on my cheap Washburn flattop.

Every time I've varied from D'Addario on my electrics I've been disappointed. I'm very happy with the half-rounds on my bass (no finger squeaks & a bit brighter tone than flats) and the Elixirs are now the ONLY strings I will buy for my flattop. They totally improved the guitar's sound and are holding up much better than any other strings I've used.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Dennyf gave me the site to Webstrings and i just recieved them today

I love them so much, beautiful tone.

Also, every kind of strings i bought before these made my g string ring and it drove me crazy, these dont make it ring. Just totally incredible.

They're cheap too, i got 6 packs of strings and 10 picks for 20$ (no shipping!)

I just love em...

Originally posted by Wes from Winnipeg:

I've always used GHS Boomers. I tried EB , PEavey, and Fender strings and didn't like them as much. The GHS seem to be really consistent and last forever.

My wife bought me a pack of Dean Markley Blue Steel this week. I just put them on so I'm not sure how they are. Haven't played them enough yet.

For acoustic I use Martin strings. I recently found D'Arco strings which are made by Martin, but are cheaper. They seem to be just as good to my ear.

watch out for the blue steels, I had been using them because I liked the tone and they lasted but theyre fret eaters, (its the hardened stainless steel) and they take a long time to break in.

I got an almost full box of 10s Id probably givem away for the shipping...

Over the years, the brand I used the most are GHS Boomers...09's early on...then switched to 10's.

Found them to last forever…nice articulate ring to them...sound great with DiMarzio Super Distortion HBs.

On my '75 Hagstrom Swede (with the SD DiMarzios)...I've been using a custom set of Boomers: 10-12-17-24-32-42

But I also use a bunch of other brands...depending on the guitar.

These are all in the standard 10-to-46 sets.

Fender 150's on my '52 reissue Tele and my Agile "Strat".

Ernie Ball Classic R&R on my Ibanez Artcore guitars: AG-85 and AFS75T...

...and also on my Agile Double-Cut Jr w/p90's.

I just bought a 10-pack of D'Addario's...which I will use on my Oscar Schmidt "335" ...and also on my Agile 3000 "LP" (though this might get GHS Boomers also on the next set).

For my acoustics...phosphor bronze...GHS...Martin...Adamas...light set on my Ovation Applause...heavier set on my Ibanez "Hummingbird".

For my bass guitars...big, fat GHS flatwounds on my '70's Peavey "Precision" style bass...and medium roundwounds on my Epi Thunderbird.

Oh...And Ernie Ball on my Pedal Steel. :)

I kinda' like to keep a lot of different sets in my studio...just in case....same thing with picks.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by J J:

Dennyf gave me the site to Webstrings and i just recieved them today

I love them so much, beautiful tone.

OK...from their website:

Webstrings, for the greatest combination of quality and value to be found anywhere on the planet! Our strings are made in America by one of the the world's premier musical instrument string makers, the same people responsible for those other fantastic guitar strings that you're so familiar with.

So...which "other fantastic guitar strings that you're so familiar with are the really talking about???

So...which "other fantastic guitar strings that you're so familiar with are the really talking about???

Who knows? :confused:

But i hope this kind of answers the question

From Webstrings.com:

Who Actually Makes Strings?: For those of you who are still in the dark about who makes guitar strings, lets just say that there are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture strings. Most of today's string labels have one of these string factories manufacture strings for them and they simply put their label on them. These branded strings are then sold to a distributor and then to a store or perhaps a catalog, everyone makes money along the way (we can't fault them for this, everyone needs to make a living). Strings go through many hands before they end up on your instrument.

String Marketing: As I'm sure you know the most popular string labels spend lots and lots of money advertising. We've all seen those long lists of endorsees, great for those of us who get free strings but if your a working musician without an endorsement deal it doesn't mean much. What it does mean is that someone has to pay for all that advertising. Webstrings doesn't advertise the way the industry does, we don't give strings away free of charge to anyone and we would never pay anybody to use our strings the way many labels do.

might as well add this too:

A Better Way: Webstrings contracts the same manufacturers that the most popular labels use for their strings. That's right they're the same high quality American made strings. So you see, there's a good chance that your favorite strings are exactly what we're selling!

watch out for the blue steels, I had been using them because I liked the tone and they lasted but they're fret eaters, (it's the hardened stainless steel) and they take a long time to break in.

I got an almost full box of 10's I'd probably give'm away for the shipping...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLD! Send me the details if you are serious!

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Originally posted by J J:

Oh yea

thanks again Denny! :thu:

You're welcome! Glad you like the strings. I know others feel differently, but I pretty much feel strings are strings, and I've tried a lot of different brands. Webstrings are the best deal I've found so far. And I appreciate their frankness, they don't even pretend to make 'em, just market 'em.

BTW, I just discovered on Wednesday that I was just about out of electric strings. Ordered 'em online Wed. night. Showed up in my mailbox Friday. All the way from the left coast to the right coast within two business days. And no shipping charges.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Who Actually Makes Strings?: For those of you who are still in the dark about who makes guitar strings, lets just say that there are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture strings.
OK...I'm sure the Webstrings are good strings...and their ARE very sweet...

...but, they go on and on about "other brands"...and kinda' suggest that theirs are made by the same manufacturer as that ""other fantastic guitar strings that you're so familiar with"...and then never actually give names.

Then they also say there are a "handful" of actual manufacturers.

Well...a handful…is at least 5...maybe even a couple more…

...so, it still pretty easy to find one manufacturer's strings to be a lot better then another's.

My point is...Webstrings are suggesting that you might as well buy theirs since they are as good as the other great brand...but which brand is that???

If there are a handful of manufacturers...then there are probably as many differences between one string and another.

They should either say what other brands they are taking about…or just shut up about it and just market their own strings with trying to piggyback off of that "other fantastic brand"...without ever saying which brand.

It's kinda' cheap marketing…IMO.

It's obvious that there ARE differences in strings...we are not all that gullible that we can't notice the differences from one brand to another...even if there may be some brands that use the same manufacturer.

Hey...if they really ARE all the same...then you can get strings even cheaper then Webstrings...

...Musician;s Friend is selling "their" brand for only $1.99! :D

With solid stings…E-B-G…most of the time you can probably use one brand or another and not hear a whole lot of difference if they are all plain steel strings.

But…you need to look at the wound strings D-A-E to really see and hear differences.

If you take any of the wound strings from a few different brands (all the same gauge)…and the look at them under a magnifying glass…you will very easily see obvious differences in the windings.

Some brands wind left-to-right…other right-to-left.

Some have more “spaced” windings…other are packed.

Some have almost a flat-wound look/feel…other a true round-wound.

So…all stings are not the same…even if the come form the same manufacturer, they may very well be made to different specs for various brands

One thing I do like with the Webstrings…is that they offer a set that is very similar to my custom GHS Boomers set that I use on my Hagstrom Swede.

It is their XL-Bottom set (10-13-17-24-32-42).

The only thing different with my custom GHS Boomers set is that I use a 12 instead of the 13 for the B string. I wish some of the other manufacturers/brands would also offer similar types of customs (lighter wounds). It seems that as soon as you hit 10's or above…the wounds always start at 26-36-46 or thicker.

I just ended up buying a whole bunch of GHS singles…and them I make up my own set…but I'm not sure who else offers singles anymore?

See…I tend to prefer using the Neck pickup about 80% of the time…for leads and rhythm…I just find the Bridge position to be annoying (most of the time).

But…with the Neck PU…the wound stings tend to get too boomy/LF sounding when you have the fatter gauges.

With my lighter bottom custom set…I think it is a much better balance between the six strings.

I'm just not sure how they arrive at the intervals…like, why 9-11-16…but then…10-13-17…??? When I made my custom set…since I originally used 9's…I just move the first three strings up one gauge…form 9-11-16…to 10-12-17…and then kept the wound three from the 9 set (24-32-42)

But for some reason, all 10 sets have a 13 for the B string…why?

Is there some mathematical formula that dictates what is then next gauge…once you choose your starting string (9 or 10 or 11 or 12…)…???

I may order a few of the Webstrings just for their XL-Bottom set. :D

I recently found Caribe strings-soon as my current set gets worn I`m going to try em out-they can make custom sets in ANY combination and I`m pretty sure they`re not just a repackager. They don`t even have a website. Field report to follow in the near future.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Sorry miroslav but i dont think i can really help you that much on this company and all...

I just use em! :D

And i happen to like them better than the ones i've used in the past (Elixir, Fender, Boomers, Gibson)

they're cheap and they're strong, that's why i like em. And no shipping helps a lot too

I've noticed over the years that I'm one of the few people (animal or vegitable excluded) that uses genuine cheese cutters of the .008 - .038 range. When I get my wife to pick them up for me the salesman alway suggests she must have that wrong because nobody uses them. :freak:

Super, Extra thin and Slinky's the way I've always like them.

Perhaps a bad habit.. from all that I've read from Beck, Clapton, Page.. but then I'm tone deaf.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived