Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how hard is it to build a guitar

Reverse the Curse

EBAY link

browsing ebay i found that. It got me wondering how much knowledge and work would be needed to take that and turn it into an awesome guitar. I've always been a build it yourself kinda guy. I built the computer I'm on right now and I've built an awesome bike. Why not expand to guitars.

The forumite formerly known as Cooper.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace." Jimi Hendrix

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always used the comparison of building a guitar to building a bike, as long as you aren't routing a body or welding a frame.

I learned how to assemble electric guitars (I don't have the woodworking skills to make an acoustic from tonewood, for example) backwards. One by one, I learned how to replace/adjust/repair each sub-component (tuning machines/intonation/electronics/etc.). After that, starting from scratch is paint-by-numbers to a point.

Don't assume that your finished product will have resale value equal to or greater than its parts. Don't be afraid to take the assembled product to a pro for final setup, if you've never done that before.

Doug's got it right. I might add that there are a bunch of places where the learner can buy kits of various qualities. And places like warmouth, where you can buy all the parts, though not exactly in 'kit' form. But it is seldom cheaper than buying a guitar. For example, some of the cheaper Fenders are under $200. A neck form Warmoth is about $200.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Unless you have access to a wood shop and understand how to build jigs for the routing and shaping forget it. It'll look very hand made if you don't. What I did was buy a non Fender body, Fender hardware and a Fender big headstock neck off ebay. Got the Texas Specials and the rest of the electrics (better than Fender) at GC and assembled (built) one hell of a FrankenStrat. And I had a ball doing it. Total price was about 650.00. I bought copper leaf paint at Home Depot and shielded my SG special. Worked great. The FrankenStrat is next. A long time ago I learned how to set up my own guitars and make them play like butter. It's a hobby you'll never regret. I taught my son how do it all too, now that was really rewarding.
Play really loud and everything will be allright.

That body from Ebay would eliminate one of the hardest parts of assembling a "parts" guitar which is painting the body. Assuming that all the other parts are compatible putting it together is not that hard. If you get a neck without holes drilled for mounting care must be taken when drilling the bolt holes. They must be the correct size and the neck alignment is crucial. What I've done is put the low and high strings on and using a pice of wood to protect the frets I clamped the neck to the body with a C-clamp. Then I drilled the holes while being ver careful to keep the drill at a right angle to the body. It worked out on both parts guitars I built. Marking the holes

with either the screws themselves or an awl and then drilling on a drill press with the neck clamped in a machinists vise with some protection would be a preferred method though. This way you could make sure that the holes were perpendicular and the correct depth with greater precision.

It is usually cheaper and less risky to just buy a guitar as was mentioned but I like to make stuff so I went to the trouble. I have a lot of experience with woodworking and soldering though and I don't recommend to everyone.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by StinkMonkey:

Unless you have access to a wood shop and understand how to build jigs for the routing and shaping forget it. It'll look very hand made if you don't. What I did was buy a non Fender body, Fender hardware and a Fender big headstock neck off ebay. Got the Texas Specials and the rest of the electrics (better than Fender) at GC and assembled (built) one hell of a FrankenStrat. And I had a ball doing it. Total price was about 650.00. I bought copper leaf paint at Home Depot and shielded my SG special. Worked great. The FrankenStrat is next. A long time ago I learned how to set up my own guitars and make them play like butter. It's a hobby you'll never regret. I taught my son how do it all too, now that was really rewarding.

I have to disagree on a minor point, you don't NEED to make jigs or have extraordinary skills to make a guitar body... You just need to take care in its construction and details. Mine was designed freehand, and I made it from 7 pieces of wood having never made anything from wood before. I feel it looks anything but amateurish. In fact, it has been assessed by 5 different shops at about $2000. If you want to do it, read up on the nuances and just do it! Here's mine in my buddy's hands... http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/Guitarproject/Boggs_Done_01.JPG Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Hey Boggs, I didn't realize that you weren't a woodworking expert. I ASS*u*MED that with the threads about your building that you were very experienced-- my fault, I don't read every thread.

As I'm moving into a new home shortly there is a large shed that we're thinking about turning into a woodworking shop as I butcher wood for my own twisted purposes-- poorly but functionally. I figured that once I set up a decent work area I might actually be able to do better work if I take my time and pay attention to detail.

Based on your post I think I may do OK.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Thank you so much for the compliment, musicalhair! Actually, compliment*s*... not only by what you said about my guitar build, but that I may have in some way inspired confidence in YOU through it! It don't get no better'n that! I very much appreciate it and wish you nothing but good times and success! Keep us informed as to your progress... ;) Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Archived