Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to VB, VA next week!

The Lone Chicken

My wife Maria and I will be spending next week on vacation in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA. We'll spend time with my dad, my two brothers and other relatives, and on one of the days while there we'll also drive down to what is really my favorite place to visit, the NC Outer Banks. Also (and here's where this post becomes relevant to this forum :D ), I plan for us to pay a visit to the Guitar Center store located in VB right on Virginia Beach Boulevard near the intersection with Newtowne Road.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have fun, Brother! :wave:

Be sure to take a couple rolaids for GAS ! :P

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

It's your hometown, so you probably already know, but while you're here you should stop by Alpha Music, which is also on VaBeach Blvd, just closer to the beach, and Audio, Light & Musical on Military Highway in Norfolk.

Oh, and my calendar is here. :cool:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

@Dennyf: I am indeed aware of AL&M and Alpha Music, although I haven't yet been to either store. I believe that I will try to visit those stores while we're there. Also, if you ever have time to write (my email is lonechicken1@aol.com ), I'd be interested in hearing more from you about what's been going on in the VB music scene over the past several years or so. We've been making it to VB about once every other year, and on those visits we've mainly concentrated on spending time with relatives (a good thing, I think, considering that I got to spend quality time with my mom before she passed away four years ago), so I've pretty much lost touch with the music scene there. Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was an awesome Christian nightclub on 17th Street just E of Pacific Avenue in VB's Oceanfront area called THE FIRE ESCAPE, which was the scene of some awesome music and some great guitar playing, particularly by a phenomenally gifted guitar player named Bob Page, who was the lead guitar player with ISAAC, a Christian jazz-rock fusion band who were the owners of THE FIRE ESCAPE. At some point in the near future I will have to share more of my memories of that jammin' place, which unfortunately closed down sometime during the late 80's or early 90's. Anyhow! We will be in the area July 31-August 8.

@guitar geezer: I just noticed that you're from San Antonio! Maria my wife was actually born there, but her family moved from there to Lima, OH when she was 6, and her relatives being there was pretty much the main reason we moved from VB to nw.OH in late July 1987. Maria has a half-brother and all his kids and their families still living in San Antonio, and I made it there for the first time last November when we went down there to visit them. As cities go, I thought that San Antonio was especially beautiful (we visited the Riverwalk and the Alamo while we were there), and I found folks there to be quite friendly. I very much enjoyed our visit there, and, as I told Maria just the other day, I hope that we get to visit there again some day.

@BiC: I must question how our Lord and Savior is pictured in your current avatar. After all, you surely must realize that if our Lord played guitar, His guitar of choice would be none other than a Fender Strat. :D Anyhow, you are a blessing, my brother, and I pray that all is well for you and your family. :)

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by The Lone Chicken:

BiC: I must question how our Lord and Savior is pictured in your current avatar. After all, you surely must realize that if our Lord played guitar, His guitar of choice would be none other than a Fender Strat. :D Anyhow, you are a blessing, my brother, and I pray that all is well for you and your family. :)

HA! :D

I couldn't agree more that His preference would be toward the Strat, for Fender was pre-ordained ! ;)

Thanx. :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

• 4 weeks later...
Maria and I got back from our visit to VB, VA late Sunday evening August 8. We had a great time visiting with my dad and other relatives, and we also made it down to the NC OBX on Monday August 2, one day before Hurricane Alex hit down there--we saw some SPECTACULAR tropical skies down there. I did indeed get to visit the GC in VB, where I met a very nice fellow guitar player named Nicole (a.k.a. Nikki) who works as a salesperson there (we spoke about music and about the band that she plays in and about higher purposes to life and the such). I also made it over to Alpha Music in VB, and also to Audio Light & Music in Norfolk, where I tried out Fender's Acoustasonic Strat for the first time (VERY nice guitar!).

Archived