Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Necks?

mstreck

I've been looking around for a Les Paul... man, that's hard for a die-hard Fender guy to admit... and I have found a few that have interested me.

But what is the difference between a set neck and a bolt-on as far as tone is concerned? Or is the difference mainly in the craftmanship and/or longevity of the guitar?

Thanks,

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mstreck:

I've been looking around for a Les Paul... man, that's hard for a die-hard Fender guy to admit... and I have found a few that have interested me.

But what is the difference between a set neck and a bolt-on as far as tone is concerned? Or is the difference mainly in the craftmanship and/or longevity of the guitar?

Thanks,

Mike

Not sure sustain maybe.I just bought a standard

best investment I've ever made.Slim 60's neck

butter neck,this guitar screams.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Back to the necks originally questioned.

Thanks,

Mike

Don't know about tone, per se, but most people feel a set neck offers superior sustain. Same with neck-through construction. Shouldn't affect longevity as long as its properly cared for. I've heard bolt ons are supposedly easier to make, therefore less expensive.

Originally posted by billster:

Back to the necks originally questioned.

Thanks,

Mike

Don't know about tone, per se, but most people feel a set neck offers superior sustain. Same with neck-through construction. Shouldn't affect longevity as long as its properly cared for. I've heard bolt ons are supposedly easier to make, therefore less expensive.
You're all business, Mr. Fartzell

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_200.gif

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Yes...The set neck is supposed to generate more sustain than a bolt on.........and

who is the blonde? she looks familiar ;)

That's Sharon Stone.

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

And speaking of necks... nice avatar!

Woe, woe!! don't get everybody started on the offensive necks err avatar thing again.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

A set neck generally yeilds more sustain and a smoother sound. Also seems to bump the mids.

A bolt on is usually brighter with a more percussive attack.

Of course the way the rest of the guitar is constructed can effect this.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived