Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitars with "slim" necks

PeeMonkey

Hey everyone, I just got over the whole les paul craze and have noticed my playing is actually better on "slim" neck guitars, due to my short fingers :( Ive been able to play a little faster than I do on my strat because I can access frets faster without having to move my hand to make up for it, and plus im one of those ppl who like to put my thumb on top of the neck at times so I can do bends easier since.

I myself have been playing on my Ibanez rg220b much lately and love the feel of the wizard neck, its very slim and suits my fingers rather nicely compared to my stratocaster with the jumbo frets and the large neck. I've been wondering what other guitars out there are nice and have the "slim" neck? I just want a second one as a backup later and want to see my options..

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if you see a pacifica 1221, 921 or 721 for sale (used, they no longer make them) grab it! they have an ultra thin neck like a wizard and one hell of a cool neck joint. you can play up to the end of the neck without touching the heel. there is no heel! a high grade aluminum tounge attaches to the neck and bolts in the body. the 1221 and 921 come with dimarzio pickups. ash bodies as well for the 921 and 721. i may be mistaken but i believe the 1221 is basswood. these three models are hum/single/hum with locking trems. the 912,712 etc have hum/sing/sing setups with standard trems.

a bit of info on yamaha's name system is:

the first numbers are how high up the the model is in the lineup.

the last number is how many single coils it has

the 2nd to last number is how many humbuckers

the letter A signifies active pickups

so a 1221 =12..2..1, top end, 2 humbuckers, 1 single coil.

quite a few of these pass through ebay.

I'm not sure how thin wizard necks are, but my Carvin Bolt has a thin neck. The kit is $299 right now with free shipping. The quality will blow you away for the price. Nothing will come close. Their frets are set to 1/1000th of an inch. The SSS ROCKS!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

I'm not sure how thin wizard necks are, but my Carvin Bolt has a thin neck. The kit is $299 right now with free shipping. The quality will blow you away for the price. Nothing will come close. Their frets are set to 1/1000th of an inch. The SSS ROCKS!

Most Carvins (including the Bolt) have what they call a "Rapid Play" neck. This is a very slim, fast neck profile similar to an Ibanez Wizard neck. Carvin guitars are awesome!

Some PRS guitars have a "Wide Thin" neck which is similar as well.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

The thinnest neck I've ever seen on a guitar was on a Washburn Dimebag 333. Ultra thin neck! Gibson's "thin taper" 60's neck is good. A lot of the Epi G-400's have that thin neck profile. My Epiphone Del Rey has a thin neck on it. I'm finding that I like a neck of medium girth. I love the 50's "soft V" of vintage Fenders, and their modern C shape is great also.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Try the musicman Axis. It plays like a broomstick and is perfect for small hands.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Warmoth makes necks in a variety of optional dimensions, shapes, 'n' sizes, including officially lauthorized and liscenced Fender replacement necks with their trademark headstocks. You could order one of them, and also have your choice of a number of different fret-wire sizes and fretboard radii (the amount of curvature in the fretboard), and slap it onto your Strat and have your "second, back-up" guitar with a slim neck right there, for less than you'd pay for another similar guitar...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

i know this should be long in the for sale thread ....if you wanted, and im just doin this cause of the topic, but my ibanez GSA60 has the wizard neck, and it is pretty thin. It just kinda sits in the corner now that i got my new guitars, id be willing to let it go so it gets some use. plays fine sounds good and in good condition...

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Warmoth makes necks in a variety of optional dimensions, shapes, 'n' sizes, including officially lauthorized and liscenced Fender replacement necks with their trademark headstocks. You could order one of them, and also have your choice of a number of different fret-wire sizes and fretboard radii (the amount of curvature in the fretboard), and slap it onto your Strat and have your "second, back-up" guitar with a slim neck right there, for less than you'd pay for another similar guitar...

The Warmoth website is fascinating, especially the shop tour. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to see the inner workings of a guitar factory. It is also highly informative with everything you've always wanted to know about guitar woods, neck shapes, finishes, you name it. Too cool! :thu:
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Archived