Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tube Amp..best bang for the buck

soonersrock

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would maybe go with a THD Univalve. Class A, single ended with a built-in attenuator. It can take any octal power tube without having to be rebiased. So you can play with different tubes easily. If you want more power, get a THD Bivalve.

Match with the speaker cab of your choice.

The Traynors, Fenders and Peaveys are fine amps but not exactly "boutique quality on a budget". How much do you want to spend? What kind of sound do you want?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by soonersrock:

I want boutique quality on a budget with some tube and speaker moding....what's the best bang for the buck?????

Look at some of the Mesa Boogie combos for boutique quality, but yoou ain't getting away for much under a grand.

However, even though it isn't "boutique quality" per se, I love the 20 and 40 watt Traynor amps. They sound great, and they are versatile. If I was gonna buy something new and had to choose between the three you named, I'd go for the Traynor.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by SuperFreak:

You get what ya pay for...

A few questions to clear some stuff up.

1) Whats your budget?

2) Are you open to second hand gear?

I'd like to keep the prices under $1000 after all is said and done and yes I'm open to second hand gear..I also want to keep it in a smaller combo amp and under 50 watts.

I have the Traynor YCV20WR and it sounds great. I played through the Peavey, Fender and Crate, which are all fine amps, but I liked the tone from the Traynor. Go with what sounds best for your style of music.

I use a Rivera 55-12.Got it for $650.00.I use it as my main amp at smaller clubs and as a second amp at big shows.The crunch is incredible.2 channels with a separate boost on each channel giving you 4 channels to contour the tone you want.Give this amp a look.You'll be pleased.

What's the conscenus on the Mesa Boogie Lonestar??? for around $1500...looks like a nice amp but kinda proprietary...or the xxx by peavey 1 or 2 12" combo unit going for around $1000 -or would it be better to mod out a Traynor 40 watt with Jan-Phillips 6L6WGB's and with their or JJ's,or Electro-harmonics 12AX7's and a celestion classic 30 12" speaker? Wouldn't that get you close to boutique status for about $800 or so?

I'd say Fender. I've tried the Peaveys and wasn't thrilled so I bought a fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb which suits me. I have some other amps as well though and I can choose among them for a particular job.

I couldn't rule out Traynor though not having tried one.

"Boutique" usually means point to point wiring and this type of amp costs around $2,000.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I went through a ton of tube (and non) amps over the last 3 years including a Fender Twin, a Reverend Hellhound Half-stack, a Fender HotRod Deluxe, and a Line 6 Flextone II Plus to name a few. I finally settled on a Mesa Boogie F-30 2-channel tube amp, whnich I couldn't be happier with the amp. The clean is as good as any Fender amp you've ever played and the lead channel can do mild overdrive to knock yer ass off distortion. The reverb is also very lush without sounding washy. The construction is also top notch. I paid $800 for the amp new, which is a great deal. If I had the money now I'd get a Lonestar combo, which they unfortunatley didn't carry when I bought the F-30. Still, I've yet to play a better tube amp in this price range.

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

I went through a ton of tube (and non) amps over the last 3 years including a Fender Twin, a Reverend Hellhound Half-stack, a Fender HotRod Deluxe, and a Line 6 Flextone II Plus to name a few. I finally settled on a Mesa Boogie F-30 2-channel tube amp, whnich I couldn't be happier with the amp. The clean is as good as any Fender amp you've ever played and the lead channel can do mild overdrive to knock yer ass off distortion. The reverb is also very lush without sounding washy. The construction is also top notch. I paid $800 for the amp new, which is a great deal. If I had the money now I'd get a Lonestar combo, which they unfortunatley didn't carry when I bought the F-30. Still, I've yet to play a better tube amp in this price range.

Thanks to all for the replies...I'm really gassing for my first tube amp and you've all been a big help with your suggestions! One thing I should note is that I buy most of my stuff online and don't play around much in guitar centers..I've come to the preliminary conclusion that the F-30 might come closest to suiting my needs if I don't get a Traynor but I'm a little afraid that its more of a humbucker amp than a single coil one...I do like to play some surf/ funk type stuff on my fenders as well as metal on a humbucker and well, everything in between...ie jazz, blues and classic rock...so I'm really wanting it all from an amp!!! I've also heard that this amp can have a hissing white noise problem...have you noticed this?

I'm in your position and I heard the most amazing amp today. The Mesa Boogie F-50 is nice. Like it was mentioned above, this thing can do a great Fender clean sound, a medium overdrive and the Recto thing. I was impressed since I'm looking for something versatile for recording. I haven't played the Traynor's, but you should definitely check this one out. They sell for right around a grand.
Yamaha CP4, MainStage 3 on MacBook Pro, Hammond A102 w/ Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes Stage Mark I, Wurlitzer 200a, Roland Juno 60, Nektar T6.

I was thinking when I read this. It sounds like this guy wants an amp that is cheap, that delivers alot. To me $1000 isn't cheap.

From my experience Peavey has offered great equipment for much less than the competition. I use a Peavey Classic 100 watt half stack and it sounds as good or better than most amps.

I would sell it to you now (if i wanted too) for $600 (the amp and teh cab)

If I demoed it for you, you would be in awe because of its price.

My point is that it pisses on most amps that I have heard and it is VERY reasonably priced. Peavey makes a bunch of good amps like this. Sure they aren't the best amps around but they provide alot more than the competition for the price. I bought my head for like $600 new and it is worth more than that when you guage it against its competition.

If your going to spend $1000 spend $1500 and get a VHT CL series head!!! I mean when your over $1000 your out for the best-- you may as well spend the extra bux.

Archived