Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Any amateur astronomers out there??

spiral light

I know this is a long shot but I thought I'd give it a try. I'm mainly interested in folks who are tri-color imaging with a CCD camera.

If not then feel free to post something of strange interest in this thread. :D

www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually a semi-professional astronomer (i.e. a graduate student in astronomy). I have my own telescope, but I haven't used it much in a while. I have put together tri-color images at the campus observatory though with some lab students of mine, but it was pretty simplistic stuff.

What are you wanting to know?

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Spiral Light, please expound upon the topic of astronomical tri-color imaging with a CCD camera.

Wouldja?

OK, here goes..

Instead of taking pictures through telescopes using film, CCD (ie digital cameras) can produce more clearer images with much less exposure time. In producing these color images they are exposed through 3 color filters (Blue, Green & Red) to produce a final image (the blue & green overlap but there is a gap between the green and the red to reduce, I believe, the effects of sodium from street lamps which emit strongly in that area).

Most astro-images nowadays are produced using this method.

:)

Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Well I used to but I had to give it up. It just takes too long to process the RGB Weight Calculations to determine accurate spectral curves.

I'd be interested in how you determined them (you can pm the details to me if necessary).

:thu:

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

I'm actually a semi-professional astronomer (i.e. a graduate student in astronomy). I have my own telescope, but I haven't used it much in a while. I have put together tri-color images at the campus observatory though with some lab students of mine, but it was pretty simplistic stuff.

What are you wanting to know?

What determines the range of the RGB spectral bands. I know there is a gap between the G & R due to sodium emission and the overlap in the B&G has something to do with the OIII (?) line @ 500nm. Any advice would be great (you can pm me if it is overly technical).

:thu:

Archived