Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[OT] Queen Latifah on SNL

Maybe it's just me, but apart from the opening sketch which was very funny and almost Pythonesque, it seems that when presented with Queen Latifah, the SNL writers could do no better than the same old, tired racial stereotypes including: ghetto mamma and hardcore rapper. The last sketch, the "A&E Biography" about a blues singer with very rude lyrics was tasteless and offensive. Am I being too thin-skinned?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're not thin skinned, just discriminating in your taste for comedy. (That's a good thing.) I wouldn't single out this weekend for any particular reason although I agree the "in my butt" repetition was crass. They do a poor job of parodying most things. I would give credit to the actual visual effects of that piece though, which meant it couldn't be performed live. SNL writing stinks and has for years. On the 3 or 4 times a year something on SNL catches my eye, I wait for the skits to end with no punchline or point to them because it has become a tradition. The performers just stop talking and moving and the crowd applauds. If SNL had just started this season they would likely be cancelled before 13 weeks were up.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

And I thought it was just me. I have been extremely dissapointed in SNL for quite a while. I am begining to wonder if Lorne Michaels has Clear Channel consulting with him for comedy at the lowest common demominator. Or, maybe they have that new "Artificial Intelligence" for Comedy plugin? :eek:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Didn't I just post this about cover songs? Waaugh, waaugh, waaugh! I still see the first few years as my favorite cast (casts if you count the replacement of Chevy Chase with Bill Murray). But there have been many excellent casts since then.. a few dogs, too. As for writing, it's fluctuated quite a bit, but by and large there have been plenty of funny sketches. True improv has a beginning, middle, and end, even if it is mostly done off the cuff. SNL has always had difficulty, right back to the original cast, in ending sketches rather than letting them peter-out. The exceptions are "shows" within the show. Anything designed to satire a real or imaginary show always seems to have a decent end. I've wondered for some time why they can't consistantly write endings to concept sketches. Specifically, I thought most of the Queen Latifah show was funny. The opening monologue was the best they've done in a [i]long[/i] time. Hardly a cliche sketch for a black, rap celebrity. It was a good use of her acting talent. The Baby K sketch was funny too. Weekend update hasn't been as good as it is now since Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtain, but I have to admit I believe most of the "guest commentaries" are pretty lame. Hardly Roseanne Rosanadanna or Emily Lutella. A few have been very entertaining, though. If you don't like what SNL is doing now, don't watch. I, for one, will still watch. There's enough good sketches to make it worth my while. I don't care for most of the recent musical guests, but several new cast members have produced funny sketches and characters. Fred Armisen, in particular, seems poised to be a stand out when he's offered full cast member status. So thhtpppphhhhhhtttt! ;) :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hell, I liked it. Yeah, they played on some stereotypes - but I imagine she would have said no if they bothered her, so I don't see a reason to get bent out of shape about it. I agree about Weekend Update - Tina Fey is a scream! I think they could skip the guest stuff - most of them are pretty dumb. But Tina & Jimmy Fallon do a great job of doing what that sketch is supposed to be, IMO. [i]I'm a Celebrity - Who Farted?[/i] :D

[quote]Originally posted by Pain in the Glaven: [b]Didn't see last nights show, but I do think that the writing has especially been bad for the last 5 or so years. I watch MAD TV now instead.[/b][/quote]That's like moving to Alaska because you're tired of the cold!

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived