Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shipping big stuff - like car seats...

Hey Guys, My old car got totaled recently so I'm getting rid of all the bits and pieces I've got around the house on ebay. Some of the stuff I've got is BIG and dirty and either won't fit or I don't want to put in my new car. I've done a few auctions where I've allowed only local pickup...I'm in the Washington DC area but, unfortunately, the largest Porsche concentration by far is out west. I took a hit on these auctions by not being willing to ship. So, is there any way I can get a shipper to come to my house, pick up these big items, pack 'em up and ship them? I think "Mailboxes, etc" might do this but I'm not sure. I had people emailing me saying they'd pay for shipping, no matter how much it cost, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me so I respectfully told them "no." BUT, I've got a nice set of recovered sport seats that I have a big investment in that I need to move. I'd like to get as much for them as possible so I don't want to limit myself to local pickup. Anyway, I'd appreciate any ideas you guys might have for me! THANKS!
None more black.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Porsche? That makes shipping easier since there are more people willing and able to pay for it, and the cost of shipping is a smaller percentage of the OTD price with such high level cars. I used FedEx ground to ship an Ampeg CL410hlf across the midwest, and its a pretty heft package, also shiped and SVT that way. If you can get the seats into a box that FedEx is willing to ship (there are some oversized package fees) then I would go with them. Go to fedex's website to see the exact restrictions. Otherwise, you would have to a trucking company, which can actaully be more expensive. To get a box, you would probably have to get them made from a box company. For seats, I would just wrap them heavily with padding/plastic sheets/moving blankets, and miles of tape. Hope this helps.

I would think mailboxes ect, would be pricey. There is another store out here called the "Packing Store", but I think they are also pricey. You could check out moving companies. Sometimes you can negotiate a good price with them and hitch a ride for your stuff, if they have a shipment to a destination you want to go. I also had pretty decent luck with Burlington (sp?) I don't know if they're still in business.
I have no homepage.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! FYI, when the seats came to me in the first place, they were sent via UPS ground and the guy had just wrapped them in plasic trash bags. The UPS guy dropped them off and bolted before I could get them unwrapped but it turns out that they had piled all kind of crap on top of the seats and actually punctured the leather in several places (you could see that the offending "puncturer" had gone through the plastic in the same place as it went through the leather so I "cleverly" deduced that it happened in transit). In retrospect, I should've called back UPS and had them returned, but I'd gotten such a good deal on these things that I figured I could just get them recovered professionally and then I'd be really cool. So I did ($$$) and then my buddy wrecked my car. Anyway, moral of the story is "I'm not sending them via UPS for sure." I'll look into FedEx, but I can't imagine these things going into a box and then me being able to carry that box! The only way I can pick 'em up now is by grabbing between the cushions and stuff. Also, one of the guys from ebay tried convincing me to go with Greyhound. Hmmm. Might be worth a look. Did you have to package the front of the pickup truck or did they take it as is? Thanks again!
None more black.

I'd avoid UPS like the plague. I shipped a '57 Reissue P from Dallas to Salt Lake. It got to Salt Lake, and then some moron at the place sent it back to Dallas. They never told me either. I wouldn't have known if I hadden tracked it daily. Then they offered me a refund. Only sent me half (thinking I would be satisfied), but I went in personally and collected the rest (of a $50 shipment). Then it took them 5weeks to mail the COD to me. I was pretty pissed that it took over a month to mail a check; I wanted my $800 :mad: I will never use UPS again. FedEx was great. I shipped a 410hlf cab from Dtown to ST Louis on a during the July 4th holiday, and it actually got there a day early! (and cheaper than UPS).

Just an opinion... FedEx Ground is the former RPS, using different trucks, distribution, and rules than regular FedEx. I have had nothing but trouble from them. I just sold a large, heavy subwoofer on eBay with local pickup only (I have offered to deliver it locally, rather than packaging it for shipping). I do live in the Los Angeles area, though, so it only took three tries on eBay to sell this one here. Maybe you should just keep trying.

• 2 months later...

Archived