Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Donn Landee

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no, that was bruce fairburn. yeah i liked don landee too but eddie hated him. he couldn't stand that his guitar was panned hard left whcich meant taht there was no gutar at all on car stereos with a blown left speaker.... d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by cerumen: [b]whatever happened to Donn Landee after Van Halen... i always thought of him as the 5th ''Beatle'' for them... they started to suck after they left him...[/b][/quote] Which was his last VH album?

last 'Landee' VH album was OU812... to me, their best sounding album...... nothing out of this world but it sure sounded the way Van Halen should sound. (as far as the mix and tones) by the way, VH let Landee produce this one too.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]Wow. Somebody scoop me on Bruce, eh?[/b][/quote] It's true, Bruce Fairbain Died Suddenly in Vancouver in 99 I believe, while working on an album..I think I may have been YES that he was working with but I can't recall exactly...Bummer...IT had to be a heart attack of stroke...something sudden as I recall..Real shock..Don Landee and Eddie were and still are good friends by all accounts..Eddie just wanted a different perspective after ou812..Thats what Eddie has said anyway.

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Don Landee was the engineer on every Van Halen record up to 1984. Then he became producer. I think they did their fair share of work with him. There comes a time when its good to move on. But not because it was bad before.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

sven...was this the album they (YES) recorded in an abandoned bank? I seem to remember something about that... So sad about Bruce. Damn good Producer/Engineer; really liked what he did with Chicago back in '95...even played 2nd trumpet. My belated moment of silence....
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by cerumen: [b]last 'Landee' VH album was OU812... to me, their best sounding album...... nothing out of this world but it sure sounded the way Van Halen should sound. (as far as the mix and tones) by the way, VH let Landee produce this one too.[/b][/quote] Yeah, OU812 is a great album. Lots of room tone on the guitars and drums. I guess the way they recorded this album was to complete one song at a time, instead of: all basics at once, all guit overdubbs at another time etc.... They wanted each song to have it's own feel. In my opinion, it worked. to me, "Balance" has the best overall sound (technically speaking.) Man, the drums really rip on that album. I really like some of the stuff from VH3, but I think they probably could have done a little better than Mike Post for production.

[quote]Originally posted by offramp@earthlink.net: [b]sven...was this the album they (YES) recorded in an abandoned bank? I seem to remember something about that... So sad about Bruce. Damn good Producer/Engineer; really liked what he did with Chicago back in '95...even played 2nd trumpet. My belated moment of silence....[/b][/quote] Offramp.....the album Bruce and YES were working on at the time of his death is called The Ladder.....a very good album btw....one of my favourites...if you want further info you can get it at their site [url=http://www.yesworld.com]www.yesworld.com[/url] For those "gamers" out there (for which i'm not) YES packaged the opening track with the same title as the software called "Homeworld".... FYI...the lineup on the Ladder project: Jon Anderson Chris Squire Billy Sherwood Steve Howe Alan White Igor Khoroshev thanks...joe

[quote]Originally posted by ABECK: [b] I really like some of the stuff from VH3, but I think they probably could have done a little better than Mike Post for production.[/b][/quote] what were they thinking when they hired mike post? he's cool for tv themes but to produce VH? if i'm not mistaken... he engineered the 5150 and ou812 also.. on 5150 he got co-producer credits with the dude from Foreigner.(forgot his name) so does anyone know what's up with Donn Landee...

Archived