Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nylon-string solidbody? I wonder....

batterypowered

Here's the deal. I LOOVE my nylon strings. I grew up playing them, I love their sound, and they're just plain more comfortable to me. However, I hate classical necks, for one, and my old nylon-string folk guitar (my dad's Heit Deluxe from the 60s) is turning shitty. The bridge is buzzy, and should be replaced. I really want to replace it with a new bridge, and I figure if I'm doing so, I might as well make it a piezo bridge.

But, on to my other question, which came up when i was thinking of this. I'm thinking about building a solidbody nylon stringer. I think a typical 1-5/8" nut width might be too narrow for nylon, so I'll have to test that. At worst, I can get one of Warmoth's super-wide necks with the 1-7/8s nut. Now, the real question is the bridge.

I'm pretty sure a normal electric piezo bridge would work, but I'm afraid the saddles would cause a lot of nylon string breakage. So, I guess, I could use an acoustic bridge, just rout out a little under it, and glue it on. That might look pretty sweet on a Les Paul shape, I think.

Anyway, anyone have any opinions? Will this just not work? Sound like poo? Does anyone make anything like this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Benedetto used to make an archtop that took nylon strings, and the Gibson has a "Chet Atkins" model that is like an electric nylon string (but, I believe they have more than one Chet Atkins model??) and Carvin and other manufacturers have electric nylon string models.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Why not get a Nylon thinline like mine ?

Its got a fishman bridge piezo /preamp with graphic EQ.

http://www.eazi-k.com/guitar/alhambra/7fc.jpg

I believe Gibsons Custom Shop does a Les Paul like nylon as well.

Ernie

If in doubt leave it Out !

I have one, for now... I don't like classical necks, though. I know it's a picky thing, but if I'm going to keep a thousand dollar guitar around, I want to love it, and I don't, right now. It's a great guitar, though, just not for me. :thu:

I'll be putting it on eBay soon for anyone interested. ;D

Archived