Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starting Guitar (Again)

Phil B

First post over here in the guitar forum. Been lurking around and have found lots of great info over here - thanks!

Anyway, I'm going to try to learn guitar again. I've had a few false starts in the past with a steel string acoustic and with a nylon string classical. This time, I'm just gonna play what I always wanted to play - electric guitar.

I'm a keyboard player primarily, so I'm at least starting with some knowledge of theory and chords and scales, etc.

Anyway, I just paid a visit to a local guitar shop here in NYC (Matt Umanov Guitars) and had some fun trying guitars out. As far as getting a new guitar, I was looking at either a Fender Standard (American) or the Gibson SG Faded.

I'm looking for something that sounds good, obviously, but I'm especially looking for something that "easy" to play - although I guess that's more a function of strings and setup, right?

Any opinions on these two guitars, one versus the other? I noticed the compressed fretboard of the Gibson vs. the Strat - I need more time to figure out if I like one over the other - I sort of liked the Gibson in that respect, but I'm not sure yet. What are the differences in their "sound" and ability to get different sounds, build quality, playability, etc.

I appreciate any advice ya'll can throw my way. Thanks,

Phil

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gibson/Fender debate is a hot one. I'm a "Fender head" myself so it's hard not to be biased. I think it's a matter of which tone you prefer. Gibsons's sound is a full sound best suited to a three piece band (Don't throw rocks at me Gibson people), where as a Fender sound is clean and less (I use this word lightly) muddy.

But as I said...it's a matter of preference...Your best bet is to listen to some songs where the guitar player has made the instrument famous...ahhh, Jimmi Page for Gibson, David Gilmore for Fender etc. Also, if the guy at the store thinks you might buy a fender or a Gibson, he porobably would have no problem playing both for you and letting you hear the difference. I think you'll enjoy either instrument you choose as both are fantastic!

It's really hard to beat a Fender Telecaster for versatility. That guitar will do everything from country, to jazz, to blues, and rock & roll with ease. It's no harder to play than the Stratocaster; they have the same scale length (25.5"). Truely great guitars. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Thanks guys - David Gilmore is one of my all-time favorites, so that's a good tick for the Fender. I posted this story a while back on the Keyboard forum that sort of had something to do with David Gilmore ... hopefully, you get a kick out of it (I still do)...

About 5 years ago I got a call from a friend of mine from out of town (a very strange friend, but that's another story) who told me that David Gilmore from Pink Floyd was playing at the Bottom Line in Greenwich Village. I said "really?" He said he was playing with Trilok Gurtu. I told another friend of mine (David Gilmore was this friend's favorite guitarist) about it and we decided to get tickets. He actually bought 10 tickets for his brother and his friends. When we bought tickets, my friend looked at the poster and asked "is that how david gilmore spells his name"? We decided to buy the tickets anyway and went to tower records to pick up a CD. We listed and although we were starting to think there was no way this was "the" david gilmore from pink floyd, we tried to convince ourselves it was since we already had the tickets. my friend decided not to let his brother and his friends in on our fears.

Anyway, my friend's crew of 10 showed up to the show decked out in Pink Floyd t-shirts and when "david gilmore" came out I heard one of them yell out "that not david gilmore!" Looking back, it was really funny, but I felt pretty bad about it. I called my strange friend to yell at him over this and he said "oh, yeah, I wasn't sure which David Gilmore it was." I could've killed him.

Anyway, what does this have to do with Bill Evans? Well, I actually enjoyed the trilok gurtu show and went to buy his new (at that time) CD. on the cover it said "Special Guests: David Gilmour and BILL EVANS!" Obviously a different Bill Evans too.

Originally posted by bluestrat:

It's really hard to beat a Fender Telecaster for versatility. That guitar will do everything from country, to jazz, to blues, and rock & roll with ease.

I didn't even try a Tele!! I definitely will next time I go in. What are some examples of people that play a Telecaster?

What about trying out guitars through an amp? Should I try them all through the same amp for comparative purposes? Or through an amp that's goes well with that guitar? I'm probably not going to get an amp yet, but I may get a modeller so I can play with headphones and (hopefully, soon) record direct with it.

Hey Phil. WELCOME :wave:

Glad to have 'ya.

I don't have a Tele, but I keep hearin' great things about 'em. Fender has been doing a lot of things with their product line, especially the tele and humbuckers. See the "Fender Aerodyne Telecaster" thread for a coupla' teles.

Also there's the TeleSonic like this:

http://www.fender.com/new_repository/fender_guitars/images/0101800_md.jpg

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

If you are not really sure of what sound you are going for, buy a guitar with a coil tapped humbucker at least in the bridge position. That way you can get both sounds. As to the feel of the instrument and neck, that is more personal preference.

As a friend of mine (Tele freak) once said, "A Tele is a MAN'S guitar." I agree.

'Course I'm talkin' a REAL Tele (No humbuckers, no acoustasonic, no fake p-90 sh*t. and a 9.5-inch radius fretboard). Ya gotta WORK to get a sound outta 'em. :evil:

But when ya do, it's worth the effort. :thu:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

If you are not really sure of what sound you are going for, buy a guitar with a coil tapped humbucker at least in the bridge position. That way you can get both sounds. As to the feel of the instrument and neck, that is more personal preference.

Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts. I wish I knew what all that meant. I'm still learning the lingo. I noticed a Strat HSS model on the Fender site. Is that something like you're talking about. It has a push-button switch that can toggle between 8 different pick-up settings. It says you can go from humbucker to single coil (I hope I'm not making a fool out of myself by writing with words I don't understand).

Of course, I've learned with music equipment and music software that generally if you buy something that "does it all," it will only do each part in a pretty average way. Have you guys tried that S-1 arrangement?

So I just spent a little time on 48th street checking out a few guitars through a PodXT. I played the SG Faded, Les Paul Faded and a 60's replica Strat (I think it was the Mexican model because the retail was $599).

This is gonna be tough. Between the two Gibson's, I thought the SG Faded had more of a high end presence that I liked better than the more muted tones of the Les Paul Faded (I guess it could have been the knob settings, but the guy that helped me seemed to think it was because the Les Paul Faded is a thinker guitar and, therefore, resonates less).

The Strat had a much "cleaner" tone. The guy who helped me said that he likes the Gibson because he plays more hard rock. He thinks the Strat is more blues and jazz capable.

I thought the Strat was a little more difficult to play, but I suspect that had more to do with the strings.

So, basically, I have no idea -- I guess I'll have to spend a few more lunch breaks there!!!

Archived