Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acronyms.

elferoony

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for NOAA...the National Organization for the Advancement of Acronyms.

But, I used to work in radio...

MOR is "Middle Of the Road"...not syrupy doctor's office muzak ("The Autumn Leaves" by Mantovani or something), not rock and roll. They really don't use the term anymore. They usually call it "light rock" (really, "pop"). Nowadays you'd define it by people like Elton John, Phil Collins, Celine Dion...that sort of stuff.

Oh, and they've also changed "AOR" from "Album-Oriented Rock" (which it USED to mean) to "Adult-Oriented Rock"...because they don't play album cuts anymore. It's all about the single.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

as i'm sure Ted can attest to, try working for a government agency :rolleyes:

everything's a freakin' acronym. the air force has acronyms for acronyms. it's unreal.

sometimes i have conversations at work that have no actual words, just long streams of acronyms.

Originally posted by elferoony:

Would it be more proper etiquette to search for answers to questions instead of asking them anew? If it is, I will do it. I just didn't know.

it's cool to ask, someone will usually just point out the previous thread or discussion. no worries.

The best case I can think of was...this new software package came into our office...and everyone was referring to it by an acronym. I felt like I'd missed something because I had no clue as to what the acronym stood for, so I just played along. Finally, one night, one of the lead forecasters was talking about the package with the acronym (can't remember what it was) littering his conversation. Later, I took him aside and said "Sorry for being stupid, but remind me if you please just what that stands for". His face went slack. He stammered a little, and then said..."I have no clue".

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think that acronyms have become such a part of our lives that we need acronyms to categorize the acronyms :rolleyes::D

My recommendations; TLA for TWO and THREE Letter Acronyms; FLA for FOUR and FIVE Letter Acronyms; SLA for SIX and SEVEN Letter Acronyms; and for dealing with the Armed Forces, ELA, NLA and TLA; HOLD ON; that one's been used :D:D

Dave the Clown

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by elferoony:

Would it be more proper etiquette to search for answers to questions instead of asking them anew? If it is, I will do it. I just didn't know.

As previously mentioned, not a problem. Just that there is a huge resource in our archive of threads about many different themes. And you can reply to one of those threads and breathe new life into it while everyone can read the previous conversation. (There's so many times you can hand out the same advice without thinking, it's all there if you only look. ;) Especially someone like me who types waaaaaayyyy too much. :eek: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

"Share it! Bust out! Share the TnA!"

It's best as a "hands-on" experience; kinda loses something as a trans-Atlantic 'net message.

:idea: TnA- it's what, en masse, invades a dyslexic's picnic. One with a srewed-up caps-lock, I miGHt aDd. :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived