Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time is the secret to learning how to play

Compact Diss

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I will NEVER take the position that theory is everything. But it is a damn big piece of the pie and shouldn't be ignored.

And to Mr. Nice Jazz Guitar Guy,

Yes, most of us did figure out basic pentatonic soloing by ear. On the same token, most of us started with sentences like "Me hungry", or "Go now bathroom" when we learned spoken language by ear. But through the miracle of education, we develop more advanced skills in the use of language that allow us to communicate on both a more precise and a more emotional level.

Where is the value in avoiding that education when it comes to music?

Yes, it seems this thread has hit a sore spot with me. :-)

Paul

What are you yelling at me for? I'm the guy that aced his first theory class in high school. Took considerbly more in college and via private lessons.

I'm just explaining how the blues came to be. Mark Levine didn't cover that in depth, so I figured I'd take up the slack.

:D

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wasn't yelling.

THIS IS YELLING!!!!!

I did not contradict your post, I simply responded to, and I shall cut and paste here...

"...but riddle me dis, didn't you figure out a few pentatonics by ear, before you ever saw them written down or were shown on the instrument? I know I had 2 patterns completely figured out by ear before I ever saw a music theory class. I'm sure listening to all those Allman Brothers records made pentatonics click in my head."

I simply believe that "monkey hear, monkey say", when used exclusively, is neither the most efficient or the most effective way of teaching/learning. If I say "Me hungry" enough, I'll probably get fed, but I haven't made it clear if I prefer pork tenderloin or strained peas.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

That wasn't yelling.

THIS IS YELLING!!!!!

I did not contradict your post, I simply responded to, and I shall cut and paste here...

"...but riddle me dis, didn't you figure out a few pentatonics by ear, before you ever saw them written down or were shown on the instrument? I know I had 2 patterns completely figured out by ear before I ever saw a music theory class. I'm sure listening to all those Allman Brothers records made pentatonics click in my head."

I simply believe that "monkey hear, monkey say", when used exclusively, is neither the most efficient or the most effective way of teaching/learning. If I say "Me hungry" enough, I'll probably get fed, but I haven't made it clear if I prefer pork tenderloin or strained peas.

Paul

Worked OK for Wes Montgomery, and Joey DeFrancesco too.

Me, I didn't go that route. The 'man' forced me to read Jobim charts at the tender age of 11.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

That wasn't yelling.

THIS IS YELLING!!!!!

Paul

Me, I didn't go that route. The 'man' forced me to read Jobim charts at the tender age of 11.

JAZZ SPAZZ. I think your full of shit. If you were reading Jobim charts at 11, your skill level must be amazing. What the fuck would you be doing waisting your time here? Surely you have a full schedule of students to teach, or a bunch of session work to do. I can't imagine a guy so talented would have any spare time. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Originally posted by Da Vinci's lost pick:

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

That wasn't yelling.

THIS IS YELLING!!!!!

Paul

JAZZ SPAZZ. I think your full of shit. If you were reading Jobim charts at 11, your skill level must be amazing. What the fuck would you be doing waisting your time here?
I'm trying to de-moronize you. Alas I seem to be having little effect. :D

Archived