Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you practice/have fun, or just warm up?

KARL FISHER

How many of you can actually practice and have fun playing everyday, as opposed to just getting warmed up before having to quit for one reason or another?

I usually fall into the "just warmed up" category.

I hope that changes soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KARL FISHER:

How many of you can actually practice and have fun playing everyday, as opposed to just getting warmed up before having to quit for one reason or another?

I usually fall into the "just warmed up" category.

I hope that changes soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl

2 hours/day is fine for me, usually.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I don't usually pick up my guitar and play unless the mood just hits me, or I'm testing a modification out, or I've just re-strung a guitar.

I don't have any practice routine, and I don't think it's hurt my playing any, but it certainly hasn't helped it any either. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I used to keep a journal and listed time and what I practiced. I never kept up with it, in fact I decided to use it again and my last entry was Monday 10/06/03.

I also start and end diets on the same day.

I begin lessons with a new teacher on the 4th, I'll let you know what my practice/play schedule is like in a month

luckily regular gigs and rehearsals keep me in shape. i'd rather play tunes with friends than practice anyway.

i do tend to play around while watching tv, sort of mindless noodling, but somewhere in that warming up/not practicing universe.

schedules and self imposed routines are a disaster in my world :freak: i learned that LONG ago.

funkjazz,

luckily regular gigs and rehearsals keep me in shape. i'd rather play tunes with friends than practice anyway.
I find it's lots easier that way too :thu:

Unfortunately that happens WAY to seldom :(

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I'm very, very sporadic; I'll go for a couple of weeks without so much as touching a guitar, and then all of a sudden want to play the damn thing constantly, sometimes spontaneously hitting a new plateau of improvement.

When I get both a regular income again- and a regular schedule in doing so- i want to take actual real live bona fide LESSONS and commit to a more regular routine of dedicated practice; much easier for me with somebody's guidance and expectations.

So, I guess I'd say that I warm-up/have fun more often than not!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I get to play a lot, and I'm always learning new tunes, but I don't practice as much as I'd like as far as just developing technique goes.

Between Blue Pearl, my solo repertoire, the church band and trying to get my bass chops up to snuff, every time I pick up my electric just for fun all I do is noodle around. Which is fun, but not really improving my playing any. :rolleyes: It's not like I don't have the time, but I run out of discipline. :cry:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by bluestrat:

I don't usually pick up my guitar and play unless the mood just hits me, or I'm testing a modification out, or I've just re-strung a guitar.

I don't have any practice routine, and I don't think it's hurt my playing any, but it certainly hasn't helped it any either. ;)

That's exactly how I am. I've heard from all the professionals and music teachers that you HAVE to have a routine, it's the only way to get better. Which I believe to a certain extent, however it never hurts just to have an axe in your hand.
Shut up and play.

I got to play for 1 1/2 hours last night through the headphones. It was great.

I really need to start working on scales, though. If I figure a song out, I can play the leads great, but if someone plays something in "E" and says play a lead to this, my fingers usually don't know where to go to stay in key.

I'm not terrible at it, but for as well as I can play the leads for the songs I know, you would think I knew every note on the fretboard.

Oh well, If I only had more time!

Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

I warm up using either scales or a one of Bach's Cello Suites, Partas and Sonatas, something with uninterrupted 8th notes.

I transcribe a lot, Sonny Rollins, Pat Metheny, Bird etc. I practice playing over changes, which I record so I can listen back and assess later.

I have to get lesson plans together for my students so they know were they are and I know were they are. Learn the tunes that they want to learn, write them down.

Learn tunes, learn more tunes.

Originally posted by DanG:

Learn tunes, learn more tunes.

wes montgomery on how much he practices:

"i don't practice, i just work out tunes."

best advice, ever. knowing a million scales & patterns doesn't inherently give you the knowledge on how to apply them. you only get that from playing music.

I practice all day, everyday

My guitar and amp is right behind my computer, so if i'm board sometime i usually turn around and pick that up and play for a couple hours, then come back to it later once im done.

When I use to gig out many moons ago...yeah, there was a lot of practice.

Then for a long time after I stopped gigging and focused only on recording...I ended up only playing when I needed to record a part.

Now, I'm back to practicing...for fun. :thu:

I like to fire up my MIDI sequencer...throw together a chord progression...copy it over to a couple of MIDI instrument tracks, add a quick drum track and run that out to my beat box...

...and then I just turn on Cycle/Loop...and wail away with my guitar.

Plus...I can quickly adjust tempo as needed on the sequencer. :cool:

I have a bunch of different styles/keys of chord progressions saved...and it's easy to flip through them during a couple of hours of practice.

Once in awhile though, I will just do runs/exercises on my guitar without any other accompaniment.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I'm very organized with my practice regimen. I'm at 2 hours. I don't noodle hardly at all. I don't have time. 1 hour is technique, half hour reading and rhythm for 30 minutes.

I keep notes on what I did and a to-do list for practice. I compile a list of things I need to work on. I criticize my playing after gigs or a session (sometimes) and design/amend my routine accordingly.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I practice from 5 am to 6 am Monday thru Friday. One of the most frustrating things for me is having to put my guitar away every morning. At 6 am, I have to start waking the kids for school, getting ready for work, etc. Thats typically the only hands-on time with my guitar for the day. On weekends I get to play longer because everyone else sleeps late. My routine lately has been 30 minutes of reading studies (Ive got tons of clarinet/trumpet books that I work from, a lot of duet books where I can record one part and play along, etc). Then I usually work on a tune for the other 30 minutes. I learn the changes, the melody, work out a basic chord-melody, and practice soloing. I work on one tune the whole week, sometime longer. This week, Im working on the Horace Silver tune Nicas Dream. It seems like just when I start going, its time to wake the family. Its very hard to put it down, and all I can do is wait for tomorrow morning

Paul

yeah i usually play an hour to an hour and a half everynight, just cuz i want to. it calms me down makes me happy, it lets me get out any emotions. but actually practicing at a song, i rarely do unless its a good song that i want to learn. it seems like a lot of people that take lessons get sick of playin because they are bein forced to. i love it because im doin it on my own, not bein forced.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

yeah i usually play an hour to an hour and a half everynight, just cuz i want to. it calms me down makes me happy, it lets me get out any emotions. but actually practicing at a song, i rarely do unless its a good song that i want to learn. it seems like a lot of people that take lessons get sick of playin because they are bein forced to. i love it because im doin it on my own, not bein forced.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

I practice when I want to. I could go a week without touching the guitar and then I will play it for 40 hours in 3 days. I get better when I learn a tid bit from someone else--- I learn the best when I can watch someone do something. Watching someone do something is worth a million words or explanations in my world. I also 'spontaneously' reach other plateaus just like what Caevan was saying. Just when I think I am out of ideas all the sudden I come up with something cool.

Sometimes I record myself telling a bunch of funny jokes and then a couple of months later I find the tape and wonder, 'who is that funny guy?'

Archived