Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting a good live acoustic sound.

Georg Cocron

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends upon how esoteric you want to get, and how much you want it to sound like a real acoustic guitar and what you are doing (solo artist? James Taylor? or metal band with acoustic guitar? Ed Gerhard?...)

A better guitar.

a better pickup.

A preamp setup.

There are many better guitars out there, and the field is ripe with new pickup technologies and combinations. I liked the Schertler that I heard, but I haven't been trying to keep up on this stuff, and it changes so quickly. For a while I was using a Focusrite Tone Factory as a pre for my Santa Cruz (with whatever stock pickup S-C was putting in the guitars when I got mine...), but I honestly don't care that much (most PAs being so bad anyway), so I just drag my Washburn and a direct box and a little Roland Cube40. I use the Cube like a floor monitor, aimed up at me, and I let the sound guys do what they will with the out front stuff.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

get a good acoustic amp, like the genz benz shenandoah jr, or a swr strawberry blonde. that will do wonders.

try blending a saddle transducer with your soundhole pickup.

the options are limitless like bill said. define what you want to sound like, then find the components to get it.

good luck :thu:

Originally posted by Georg Cocron:

I have been trying to get an optimal live acoustic guitar sound.

I have tried outfitting a Washburn guitar with a seymour duncan soundhole pickup.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving upon this set up? :idea:

Gee, I dunno, it sounds like you've already thoroughly exhausted all the options . . . :D

Seriously, if you're interested in sincere replies, try to at least give the impression of some serious interest on your own part. Ever hear of Google? Usenet? I already spent more time on this reply than you apparently have on your own research. :evil:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived