Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digitech Modeling

elferoony

I read that some of you guys had RP-200's as well on gugulong's post, so I pulled mine out to use it. I hadn't owned any stompboxes before this unit, so I had found it difficult to use.

I am a simple person, and having three sets of tone controls, one set on the guitar, one on the amp, and on the modeler was really confusing.

It seemed to me that there were a lot of possiblities with the machine, but it was really hard for me to find things that sounded good to me.

Do you make patches for each song, or have a few that you use like set-ups?

What did you guys do with the drum machine. It seems to be kind of hard to match it with existing songs, because the beats are uneditable, so when you performed with it, did you build songs around the beats?

Thanks! :P

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

___(elferooney)___

Hey, http://userpic.livejournal.com/7587404/499060, does your amp have an effects-loop, or a power-amp-in jack of some sort, on the back?

If so, try going: guitar http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif RP200 http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon2.gif fx-return/pwr-amp-in, bypassing the tone-controls on the amp. This might simplify things, and may even sound better, as well.

Go easy on the master volume on the RP200 at first when you try this, as the gain and/or volume controls on the amp are probably taken out of the picture this way, as well. If it's turned up high on the RP200, it'll be screamin' LOUD direct through the power-amp!

Also, try disabling any "speaker emulator" filtering on the RP200 (if you've got it on) and see if that sounds better. (If not, leave it on!)

Trial-and-error, experimentation is the only way to find what'll work best for you!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, I'm running it through my Fender Champion 30, which has two inputs, active and passive, but no effects loop.

I'm just not sure which of the effects are tried and true and which are known to be turkeys. My tone on one gig made a baby cry.

Originally posted by elferoony:

"My tone on one gig made a baby cry."

Was that, good "baby cry", or bad "baby cry"? Y'know, was the baby sobbing in ecstatic rapture to hear your gold-chased notes, or squawking like an enraged raptor to hear your mold-chafed blatts? ;):D

Oh, by the way, to further simplify things here, for now, leave your guitar's volume and tone controls all the way up, effectively ignoring them untill you've got everything else here sorted out.

"I'm just not sure which of the effects are tried and true..."
Man, just about every effects combination has been "tried"; the "truth" comes out- or doesn't- when the person playing the guitar is added to the signal path. Find what works for you, what you don't like, isn't for you.

Try both inputs, try fiddling with the tone-knobs on the amp 'till at least several of the patches that you would find usefull all sound equally O.K. without having to change the tone-controls for each one. Then, fine-tune each patch to suit your ear. Look through the RP200 manual to find ideas about what to try with all of those parameters.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by elferoony:

I read that some of you guys had RP-200's as well on gugulong's post, so I pulled mine out to use it. I hadn't owned any stompboxes before this unit, so I had found it difficult to use.

I have both the RP300 and the GNX3. I can probably get you through some bumps. Send me an email if you want me to get more into it.

I am a simple person, and having three sets of tone controls, one set on the guitar, one on the amp, and on the modeler was really confusing.

My solution: My knobs on my strat are all on 10. My knobs on my amp are all on 5. I adjust the EQ on each patch to suit me. And I can adjust the guitar knobs if I need to.

It seemed to me that there were a lot of possiblities with the machine, but it was really hard for me to find things that sounded good to me.

With the RP200, the best advice I can give is to try the patches that are on the Digitech site, then tweak them to what you want. Once you become more familiar with the RP300, you can start to create patches of your own. Another thing to consider... your amp may be "coloring" the tone of the modeler. I use a "transparent" amp (Tech 21 PE).

Do you make patches for each song, or have a few that you use like set-ups?

I have some patches that are specific to certain songs. I also have four "setup" patches that I keep handy. See this thread.

What did you guys do with the drum machine. It seems to be kind of hard to match it with existing songs, because the beats are uneditable, so when you performed with it, did you build songs around the beats?

I have found that the drum machine on the RP300 is just a glorified metronome. The beats change when you change patches so it is worthless unless you just need to keep time. The drum machine on the GNX3 is much nicer. I would never use either for performing live.

Thanks! :P

Sure! Let me know if I can do more.

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

I read that some of you guys had RP-200's as well on gugulong's post
Hey elferooney, I wrote that I had an RP200. First of all, sorry about my reaction to one of your first posts. Glad you're still here.

The RP200 is a pretty cool unit. Lots of reviews say it's intuitive. I wouldn't classify it as such, but once you tweak three or four of the factory patches, you get the hang of it. Getting to that point however requires the manual, which is only marginally well-written.

I got to tweaking patches after going to digitech.com where users could list their favorite patch "recipes", if you will. I got a KILLER tweed tone that I've used many times. Then I created different versions of that tone at different gain levels.

I have a few set ups that I've used on it. I stopped using it live, as the pedals are very close together, and the Wah is REALLY close. If the unit is putting out too much volume into your amp, just adjust the EQ down to manageable levels.

The drum machine is a rhythm trainer. Not REALLY a drum machine per se. I was forced to use it as such once, when a drummer was a no-show. I was playing for kids at church and they were cool about it. We got a good laugh at it, but it kept the beat!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I use my cheap old Casio keyboard (circa 1985!) for a drum machine. It works pretty good. It's got probably 30 different patterns with adjustable tempo, but only about 10 of them are useful for rock & roll. :( I don't have any multi-effects units anymore, unless you count the delay/doubler/flanger rack mount thingy I got off of e-bay a while back. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived