Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Combos w/speaker jacks vs. Heads

Virtual Jim

I've been having a massive GAS attack as of late, and I really think it's time for me to get my first tube amp. I've been a strong supportor of digital since 98, and I'll still go on and on about how great my digital gear is. But after the Tubes vs. PODxT thread and seeing Cheetah Chrome play a flextone at the recent Rocket From the Tombs reunion tour and simultaneously hearing Richard Lloyd's rig, yeah... I think it's time.

I've been browsing the ebay listings for JCM800 amps and got to thinking:

Say I was to plug a 50W tube combo into a 4x12 cab at the proper impedance and not using the internal speaker, it'd sound the same as a dedicated head, all other things being equal, right?

and of course... if I found a tube combo with additional speaker outs (i've seen this on solid state combos my friends have had over the years) and used this to power a 4x12 while using the internal speaker, would there be any less-than desirable effects?

thanks and stuff

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump

I think other people can better address this than I can, but IMHO, yes. To all of your assumptions.

Try this on Myles' thread. I'm sure he'll have better and more detailed info for you.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Say I was to plug a 50W tube combo into a 4x12 cab at the proper impedance and not using the internal speaker, it'd sound the same as a dedicated head, all other things being equal, right?

and of course... if I found a tube combo with additional speaker outs (i've seen this on solid state combos my friends have had over the years) and used this to power a 4x12 while using the internal speaker, would there be any less-than desirable effects?

In most cases a head and combo version of the same amp share exactly the same chassis and electronics. This is true with JCM 800 amps. Only difference is one is mounted in a box with speakers and one is mounted without. So you can easily connect an external cabinet to a combo amp.

If you are running both an external cab and the internal speakers you'll need to make sure that the total speaker impedance matches the amp's.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by batterypowered:

Here's something I've always wondered, on a similar topic. If I plug a cabinet into the back of my 15-watter, how loud could it actually get?

Depends on the efficiency of the speaker system (IE cabinet) you plug into. I use the term "speaker system" because that's what the combination of speakers & enclosure is. The combination of speakers & enclosure will dictate the systems efficiency (although with a guitar rig the efficiency of the speaker itself is probably most important). An efficient speaker system will get PLENTY loud with 15 watts.

Anyone who has heard a pair of Klipschorn hi-fi speakers powered by the headphone jack of a Walkman will attest to this.

Check the efficiency rating of the actual speakers in any cabinet you are considering. The higher the number, the less power it takes to get loud.

My two cents worth. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Here's something I've always wondered, on a similar topic. If I plug a cabinet into the back of my 15-watter, how loud could it actually get?
Loud as hell. My 15-watt (or less) Champ 12 absolutely roars through my 4x12.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived