Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretboard Radius

LeftyBlues

I didn't want to hijack the Strat Help topic, but Dave the Dude was talking about the difference in fretboard radius on a Highway 1 strat (9" vs. 7.5") and got me to thinking. My MIM strat frets out pretty bad when I bend strings, especially the high E string. My action is set about average if you know what I mean, so I think that maybe a flatter fretboard would work better for me. Anybody ever change necks to get flatter/rounder fret action? I've heard the Carvin necks are pretty flat, and are a direct fit. Hmmmmm......appreciate any thoughts.

Bruce

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce Downs,

I didn't want to hijack the Strat Help topic, but Dave the Dude was talking about the difference in fretboard radius on a Highway 1 strat (9" vs. 7.5") and got me to thinking. My MIM strat frets out pretty bad when I bend strings, especially the high E string. My action is set about average if you know what I mean, so I think that maybe a flatter fretboard would work better for me. Anybody ever change necks to get flatter/rounder fret action? I've heard the Carvin necks are pretty flat, and are a direct fit. Hmmmmm......appreciate any thoughts.
I went back to the Fender site and checked it again. If you select a model, then "VIEW" it, it lists all the specs. Under "Fretboard" it shows the radius. I was wrong. The Highway 1 and ALL current (except the Custom Shop Time Machine, I checked the '56 Strat and American Vintage, I checked the '57 Strat are 7.25") have a 9.5" Radius, not 9.0". I remember now (I think correctly) that the 7.5" inches I was (incorrectly) referring to (really 7.25") was used on older Strats. That's probably why I never liked the action of the Strats I had tried ten and twenty years ago. The new radius is better for me, but of course that's an individual thang. I don't know when the switch in radius was made. Maybe somebody else does.

That's all the good news. Now for the bad news. That means that your MIM probably already has the 9.5" radius. I think the Carvin neck (fretboard) has a composite radius of 10" near the head and 16" further up the neck. It makes sense to me (flatter higher up the neck, that is), but I've never played one. I know their necks have a very good reputation.

Sorry for the mis-information, Dave. :cry:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I don't know very much about neck radius when it comes to specs, but my pride and joy '83 Zion has a compound radius that I had done about 12 years ago. Basically, the fretboard gets flatter as you go up. I think it has contributed to my guitar's "magic". Everyone who plays my guitar swears it is one of the best feeling guitars.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

That's all the good news. Now for the bad news. That means that your MIM probably already has the 9.5" radius. I think the Carvin neck (fretboard) has a composite radius of 10" near the head and 16" further up the neck. It makes sense to me (flatter higher up the neck, that is), but I've never played one. I know their necks have a very good reputation.

:cry: [/QB]

Although I wasn't able to verify this, I believe that Carvin necks are flat with a 16" radius.

Warmoth's standard construction is a compound radius running from 10" to 16" and they offer many options in terms of neck and fretboard wood, fret size and nut width.

Both manufacturers have reputations for excellent quality.

sgstrat,

Although I wasn't able to verify this, I believe that Carvin necks are flat with a 16" radius.
At the Carvin site, "Custom Shop Tour" they list the fretboard as "ith 15" radius". I don't know whada-heck "ith" means, but 15" is close enough to 16" for me. I got it confused with the Warmoth Neck.

Warmoth's standard construction is a compound radius running from 10" to 16" and they offer many options in terms of neck and fretboard wood, fret size and nut width.
Yeah, that's what I meant. :D Sorry. :cry:

Both manufacturers have reputations for excellent quality.
Oh yeah! :thu:
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

How long have you played this guitar?? It may need a fret dressing. The older Vintage 7 1/2" radius necks were built for chord comfort. They do lay nice on the hand. Wild Blues and C&W benders will fret out on them, so on the older guys guitars you will see they have the action as high as it would go!! Check to be sure the frets are level. During the life of a neck the lower frets wear first, creating problems in the 7th to 15th fret range when bending. Remember too, the neck is an integral part of the sound of a guitar. There are many factors at work here. If you like the guitar sound now, check the frets before you replace anything. A new neck "will" install a new sound! Good Luck!

Originally posted by sgstrat:

i used to have a tele with a compound radius warmoth neck and i absolutely loved it. you can keep REALLY low action and never fret out on a bend.

still kicking myself that i sold that one!

Anyone know what radius my Jackson might be? Its a DX-10D, extremely flat, I think a 12". I checked online but I can't find much about it. I saw 12" and 15", and honestly its almost flat to the point of fret scallop, so 15" wouldn't surprise me. Help?
Shut up and play.

Revolead-

You can get radius guages from someplace like Stewart MacDonald , relatively cheap; or you can make a makeshift one by pinning a string with a nail or tack and measuring off various lengths, tying a pencil there as close to the length as you can, and tracing an arc. Cut out the arc, and keep a "convex" and a "concave" of it. Then repeat the process with several other lengths. Try 10"r, 12"r, 14"r, 15"r, 16"r, and 20"r (some of the most common fretboard radii).

(Buy the gauges- they're a lot more accurate and durable! They come with four radii apiece, and look like plastic "squares" with concave sides.)

I would geuss that it's most likely either 15"r or 20"r.

Whichever the fretboard on your Jackson most closely matches, is probably the radius it was made as. ("Duh", right?!? ;) )

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by sgstrat:

:cry:

[/QB]

------------------

Carvin made a change to a new neck style on 'most' of their guitars back in April/May of 2003. The new neck is a compound radius (12 to 14.5 in.) to the fretboard, and is 'slightly' more of a "C" profile on the back of the neck than previous. (This infor. was passed down to us from two people directly at Carvin, on the Carvin BBS).

Carvin sometimes has been known not to 'update' information on their web site. Hope this helps.

Big Back McGee

Archived