Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oooh! Another idea!

Blue Strat

Since I put the SD Scorcher in my El-Cheapo strat copy, it dominates the other pickups in the guitar. :idea: To match the output, what about wiring the neck and middle pickup in series? That should give me a humbucker level output, and no hum. It would be a humbucker, just the coils would be about 3" apart.

I could wire the center connection of the two pickups to a volume pot so I could still get the single coil neck tone. Something I'm going to have to think on. :confused:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" :idea: !!"

I think that you should use, say, maybe an OBL humbucker, and put it, oh, in the middle position on a Strat... maybe... on a home-made pickguard. Made of MDF. Yeah... that's the ticket. I'm just full of ideas!

Or maybe just full of it, eh?!? ;):D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

" :idea: !!"

I think that you should use, say, maybe an OBL humbucker, and put it, oh, in the middle position on a Strat... maybe... on a home-made pickguard. Made of MDF. Yeah... that's the ticket. I'm just full of ideas!

Or maybe just full of it, eh?!? ;):D:thu:

Well, the OBL pickup is in Gastonia, so I came up with something I can do here with no mechanical mods. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

This is awesome! This is it. No more changes to this axe other than new tuners and cosmetics. The volume control crapped out on me, so I'll need to replace that. Caused a problem of low output on the bridge pickup, but I've temporarily fixed that by wiring the pot different.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I have the Strat style PU configuration with a humbucker at the bridge but for me I like the mismatch. I even go further and lower the bridge PU a bit and put the mid PU all the way down to the body. I like that type of dynamic control. Using the toggle is like channel switching.

Initally I set it up like this because there was too much magnetic pull on the strings and liked how I all worked out.

BTW I wonder if wiring it up like that would really buck the hum. The PUs may be to far apart.

bill johnson

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"The volume control crapped out on me, so I'll need to replace that. Caused a problem of low output on the bridge pickup, but I've temporarily fixed that by wiring the pot different."

What happened? Overheated? Flux residue get in there? Any idea? What are the symptoms?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Loose Nut:

BTW I wonder if wiring it up like that would really buck the hum. The PUs may be to far apart.

Think about that last statement; Does a strat buck hum on the two "in-between" settings? Mine did, and I used the same pickups, just wired in series instead of parallel. It does buck the hum. :) It doesn't sound like a typical humbucker, but then it isn't. I still get the out-of-phase strat tone, but it's stronger, slightly brighter, and handles distortion better. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

The coils will buck the hum no matter how far apart they are. Only thing that matters is phase and polarity.

PRS guitars with the 5-way rotary switch have a switch position that is the inside coils of the two pickups wired together in series. Sounds awesome - kind of like an invisible P-90 between the two hummers.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"The volume control crapped out on me, so I'll need to replace that. Caused a problem of low output on the bridge pickup, but I've temporarily fixed that by wiring the pot different."

What happened? Overheated? Flux residue get in there? Any idea? What are the symptoms?
I'm not sure but one end of the track went dead, so I soldered it like it was a variable resistance to ground, and then the ground connection got fried. It's just running straight through to the switch right now; no volume control!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived