Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Lace Pickups

Kieran

Hey there, I researched pickups alot about a year ago, but then never really thought about it after that. Now I want to replace my Strats pickups with Fender lace. Here is what I was thinking,

Neck: Silver

Middle: Hot Gold

Bridge: Red

I play indie/emo. For the neck i was think either a silver or a blue. What do you think? what would be the better setup? thanks

Kieran

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know they made a "hot gold" model; do they have a hotter version of the gold/"vintage" model, maybe intended for the bridge or something?

Personally, I only liked the "gold" models, but if you've tried 'em all and like those given models, then who's to say that they're right or wrong?

You might want to use these with the preamp/boost/rad EQ dealybob that they put in those Eric Clapton Strats, it was made to go with the Fender Lace sensors. Although I'm not sure if it is available separately.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Aah, I was thinking of the old Fender Lace sensors. I may be wrong (hey, I was on my last post, wasn't I!) but I think that Don lace is the guy behind these, and that fender is no longer in the picture with his new products. Not too important, though, and, again, I might just not know $h!t here again...

Regardless, they look interesting. Personally, I think that a Hot-Gold br/ Gold m/ Gold n would be the set for me. Those are probably good choices for you, the ones you posted; dead quiet, sustainy, and job-specific.

Go tone test em before you buy em and stick em on and hate it. The older EC strats and Buddy Guy strats had those pickups. Any guitar salesman can geek out on all the specs for you.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The older Lace Sensors had a reputation for not playing well with vintage gear, so if you use a lot of tube based gear, it's something to consider. I'm a die-hard Seymour Duncan fan myself. :) I'd go with a JB jr. in the bridge. The neck and middle pickups are optional. For those I haven't researched it enough yet.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

The older Lace Sensors had a reputation for not playing well with vintage gear, so if you use a lot of tube based gear, it's something to consider. I'm a die-hard Seymour Duncan fan myself. :) I'd go with a JB jr. in the bridge. The neck and middle pickups are optional. For those I haven't researched it enough yet.

Don't forget to try the "Noiseless" pickups like they have in the new Jeff Beck model, and perhaps some of the others. IHMO, the sound better than the old Fender Lace pickups.

Pete

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Yes, whutt Geenard said: TRY before you buy! Or at least be certain of the return policy, wherever you buy from.

You can try some of Seymour Duncan's pickups out by playing Fender guitars. Pearly Gates, Invader, and JB jr and Hot Rails are on some Fender strats. The Iron Maiden Strat has the JB jr and Hot Rails in it.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

In fact, Im researching changing out my ceramics in my Mexican Strat. I wanted the sound of the Fender Vintage noiseless, but heard dicey reviews on Harmony-Central. Im steering toward a classic strat sound. I think Im gonna go with Seymour Duncan Vintage Staggered for Strats. Alnico Pro II is a consideration, as they have a better clean sound, but the Vintage distorts better, from what I heard on the promo CD.

Has anyone had any experience with the Nashville, now sold as the Five-Two? That has 3 Alnico 5s and 3 Alnico 2s for better response for their assigned strings.

The place Ill buy from will give me full credit toward another set if I dont like them and NOT charge me to switch them out and install another set. Sonfather Guitars, Rocklin, CA.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

The place Ill buy from will give me full credit toward another set if I dont like them and NOT charge me to switch them out and install another set. Sonfather Guitars, Rocklin, CA.

Hey, that's cool! :thu: Guitar Center makes no such deals. Once you've wired it into a guitar, it's yours.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

"Has anyone had any experience with the Nashville, now sold as the Five-Two? That has 3 Alnico 5s and 3 Alnico 2s for better response for their assigned strings."

I want to check them out, too, and the next time I need Strat-pickups, those are what I'm gonna try. Sounds like the ultimate Strat pickup! Especially perfect for that reverse-slant bridge-p'up a la Jimi, etc. It would maximize the attributes of that type of set-up. Better twang and definition on the low-strings, and fuller, fatter, rounder tones on the high-strings.

If you really needed something a little more specifically custom-tailored, as in stagger, winding, coil-taps, etc., you could order something from SD based on that design. Thair "custom-shop" prices seem pretty reasonable, for what you get.

"The place Ill buy from will give me full credit toward another set if I dont like them and NOT charge me to switch them out and install another set. Sonfather Guitars, Rocklin, CA."

I believe that to be due to Seymour Duncan's "Real World Garauntee", or something similarly worded. Anyplace that is an authorized dealer of SD products, who's staff you also trust near your guitar with a soldering iron, should honor this.

That's a very cool policy! KUDOS to SD for doing that!

Yeah, this shop in Rockil is heavily in SD. Their eyes light up when I want to talk equipment. I like going there... I doesn't take very long for them to start talking over my head though.

Caevan, the Five-two will be a SERIOUS consideration for replacements. I really diggin the idea of those different magnets making such a nice balanced response. I don't want to make a purchase until I make my trip to the Fender Museum and the Carvin Store in Santa Ana. (currently scheduled for Dec 20). Turns out neither Fender NOR Carvin do factory tours. :cry:

My wife went to Nashville, she saw the Gibson people making guits right in the window. I got a LP key chain. Pretty cool. Would have rather have been there though. :mad:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

My Strat (1994 Deluxe Plus) came with Lace sensors. I love them. The colors are: blue at neck, red at bridge, and silver in the middle.

When I bought the guitar, it was explained to me at Guitar Center that red was hot, blue was cool for jazz, and silver was for the classic Strat sound.

I go for clean sounds, so I tend to use the silver by itself or in combo with the red.

I used to have a Strat Plus with two golds and a red in the bridge position. The golds were ok - kind of "hi-fi" sounding like EMGs.

The red was a real hot, fat pickup. Sounded a LOT like a full-size humbucker. Recommended.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Heh heh... going by the Fender Lace models, I thought the "gold" was supposed to be a vintage-y Strat deal, the "silver" was a slightly hotter version with tougher, more pronounced mids, kinda quasi a la SRV's "Number One"/Texas Specials. And, yeah, "blue" = "P.A.F.", and "red" hot, high-output, especially in the "dually" double-coil configuration.

MDF!

My '83 Zion strat has had Lace pickups for about ten years now. I've got two golds wired together in the bridge position & I can switch to either series or parallel. The middle and neck have single blue Laces. Prior to the Laces I had EMGs. I have always liked them (the Lace Sensors), but now I'm thinking about replacing with Duncans. I think I just need a change. Duncan has a nice feature on their website where you can listen to the differences between pickup models. I think that's pretty cool.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Hey, I don't know about you guys, but if I were going to spend the money on a really good set of strat pickups, I would have to go the extra mile and get the Lindy Fralin's. For any of you that don't know, Lindy Fralin is a small one building factory that hand makes every part of the pickup, and can wind them to your exact specifications. I bought a set of "real 54's" from them wound on the low side, and they are absolutely hands down the best I have ever heard. Most people say that they are the closest replacement pickups for older instruments you can get. Has anyone ever heard of Fralin's before? I swear by them in my rebuilds now, and everyone I have recommended them to aboslutely raves about them as well. Definately an avenue to explore!

oh yeah i have heard of lindy. lindy nade the domino sized single coils that were on the PRS eg model. i have heard very good things of his pickups, another choice is chris kinman. there are lots of smokin pickups out there. kinmans are noisless but not toneless. the guy is a wealth of knowledge as well.

My advice, DON'T DO IT!.

I had gold lace sensors on my Strat Plus and the tone was not great at all - very thin with very poor note to note articulation.

After doing my research, I replaced these with the Kinman model FV-HMS set (modern fat tone). These are far superior to any Strat pickup I've tried. The tone is ballsy and the articulation is bell clear. I suggest you check out kinman.com. They are pricy at $275 a set but are superior pups. I also recommend two pup rewiring modifications in the kinman wirograms which can really enhance the flexiblility of your Strat (i.e. the neck pup mix control/master tone control and the Treble bypass filter mod). These minor wiring changes involve less than $5 and parts, involve NO external surgery and greatly enhance the versatility of your Strat ( you can blend the neck pup with any other pups to get a Tele tone, etc).

If you can't afford Kinmans, try the Bill Lawrenece pups (billlawrence.com) as they are good quality and only cost $40 per pup.

Archived