Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A sort of strange question on Guitar Straps

myles_rose

I am asking the advice of folks in this forum ....

I am looking for a guitar strap. 2" - 3" wide, soft, suede is preferred, but I am open to suggestions.

I guess what I am looking for, is the "Rolls Royce" of guitar straps in a way.

I think that reinforced ends would be something of a requirement, and I do not want some of that space age material, or cordura sort of stuff.

Either padded leather, soft leather, or suede seems to be the ticket.

I don't need rhinestones, tooling, silver, or my name on the strap :)

Anybody have some suggestions?

I have looked at Levy Leathers and Franklin, so far these seem to be the nicest.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO it looks like Levys is the Cadillac. My last strap was a very flexible Levys Black leather with "Some" padding on the back side. Very comfortable on the LP and not real YA-HAW.

On the other hand, I've been seeing some upscale Leather straps by PLANET WAVES (yeah - those guys that do the alien straps etc...) But these are some Nice grain leather oieces (still pushing $50 at the top end)

Im still thinking about going to the Leather store and buying some strips and making my own :freak:

My .02 worth

http://www.teamtatham.com/lynntest/guitars.jpg

Lynn G

(Ask "a sort of strange question", and you might get "a sort of strange" answer!)

Well, for sheer comfort and practicality while playing, my preference is the wide Planet Waves straps with the slide-y shoulder pads; the pad stays put on your shoulder, and the strap slides back and forth through the shoulder-pad as you move around. No rubbing or binding or pinching.

I just use Dunlop Strap Locks with them, and I think they're the perfect compliment for a Les Paul. The ones with the bright blue triangles look sharp with a cherry sunburst! But they also make 'em in black.

I know they're not leather, but that would defeat the whole non-rubbing shoulder-pad deal, as a leather strap will still shift back and forth over your shoulder as you shift the guitar around. But, then again, a woven, shoulder-pad stylee is less spankerific, isn't it? *#SMACK#*!!!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was thinking of getting a leather strap custom made for me by one of those guys at the flea market that makes the wide belts. :freak: I could take my nylon strap up there and get them to make a strap the same length the nylon one is set at now. :) No more having to adjust the length.

Lynng,

I'd go and check out the market in the old spanish town in San Antonio. When I was there they had tooled leather six-gun holsters for $50 each! :eek: Good stuff. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by lynng - guitar geezer:

IMHO it looks like Levys is the Cadillac. My last strap was a very flexible Levys Black leather with "Some" padding on the back side. Very comfortable on the LP and not real YA-HAW.

On the other hand, I've been seeing some upscale Leather straps by PLANET WAVES (yeah - those guys that do the alien straps etc...) But these are some Nice grain leather oieces (still pushing $50 at the top end)

Im still thinking about going to the Leather store and buying some strips and making my own :freak:

My .02 worth

http://www.teamtatham.com/lynntest/guitars.jpg

The Levy, Franklin, and Moody are on my top list so far.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by stanner:

i just received the best strap i ever owned-

didnt get it myself but i think the link is

:cool:

I also saw one of these that a friend has, they are also very cool.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I don't like straps that are not leather or suede.

So far the Levy seems to be the pick .... They are more available, they are priced lower than the Moody (which is a very nice strap, but I do not see where the extra money is going ... maybe I am missing something), and the Franklin straps are cool but not as available as the Levy.

Still looking!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Ha! I just drove past Long Hollow Leather, makers of Franklin Straps, in none other than... beautiful Franklin, Tn. Wish I knew you were looking, Myles. They might've been open on a Saturday. ;)

The products all look good, but I have a 3" wide, 1/4" padded strap that I'd venture beats 'em all. Wish I could enlighten you as to who made it, but there are no markings on it. Might've been custom made. It was left behind by a clinician when I worked at MARS. I left messages that were unanswered, so in the end it became mine.

It's more ornate than you're looking for, Myles, but I can't imagine there isn't a toned down model available, if it isn't a custom strap.

I'd put up a pic but my personal computer is still kaput. :(

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Ha! I just drove past Long Hollow Leather, makers of Franklin Straps, in none other than... beautiful Franklin, Tn. Wish I knew you were looking, Myles. They might've been open on a Saturday. ;)

The products all look good, but I have a 3" wide, 1/4" padded strap that I'd venture beats 'em all. Wish I could enlighten you as to who made it, but there are no markings on it. Might've been custom made. It was left behind by a clinician when I worked at MARS. I left messages that were unanswered, so in the end it became mine.

It's more ornate than you're looking for, Myles, but I can't imagine there isn't a toned down model available, if it isn't a custom strap.

I'd put up a pic but my personal computer is still kaput. :(

I have seen some killer Franklin straps.

I am looking for something plain (but soft, in suede most probably ). Color is not all that important, but I have seen some cool dark blue and emerald green colors available, and those are great.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I use Levy straps on every electric and acoustic I have for about 6 years . . . virtually all are the 2.5" or wider with foam padding, generally simple leather (except for one "fancy" one on my Strat). They are wonderful, have maintained their looks and suppleness, without deforming. The padding is easy on the shoulders (especially with an LP or the Guild jumbo).

The Duncan Straplox were a bit a chore to install given the thickness of the leather, but once done all is secure and comfy!

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

(Ask "a sort of strange question", and you might get "a sort of strange" answer!)

Well, for sheer comfort and practicality while playing, my preference is the wide Planet Waves straps with the slide-y shoulder pads; the pad stays put on your shoulder, and the strap slides back and forth through the shoulder-pad as you move around. No rubbing or binding or pinching.

I just use Dunlop Strap Locks with them, and I think they're the perfect compliment for a Les Paul. The ones with the bright blue triangles look sharp with a cherry sunburst! But they also make 'em in black.

I know they're not leather, but that would defeat the whole non-rubbing shoulder-pad deal, as a leather strap will still shift back and forth over your shoulder as you shift the guitar around. But, then again, a woven, shoulder-pad stylee is less spankerific, isn't it? *#SMACK#*!!!

Exactly what my dad uses for his Paul. Dunlop strap locks, too. In black with purple trim, though.

20 some odd years ago I purchased a very nice leather strap, 3" wide with sheepskin liner. The thing is very soft, flexible and comfortable to have hanging around your neck for a long time. I don't know if the company is still in business. It's called a Pick Pocket strap. Why? because it also has a pick pocket on each end, just above the button holes.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daddyelmis:

I use Levy straps on every electric and acoustic I have for about 6 years . . . virtually all are the 2.5" or wider with foam padding, generally simple leather (except for one "fancy" one on my Strat). They are wonderful, have maintained their looks and suppleness, without deforming. The padding is easy on the shoulders (especially with an LP or the Guild jumbo).

The Duncan Straplox were a bit a chore to install given the thickness of the leather, but once done all is secure and comfy!

daddyelmis ...........

so far, the Levy strap seems to be the one I am going toward.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by I'm awishin' it was still Halloween:

20 some odd years ago I purchased a very nice leather strap, 3" wide with sheepskin liner. The thing is very soft, flexible and comfortable to have hanging around your neck for a long time. I don't know if the company is still in business. It's called a Pick Pocket strap. Why? because it also has a pick pocket on each end, just above the button holes.

Dak .........

Sounds nice but it's not in stores now :)

also ... like your avitar.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Back in the late 70's and early 80's when I had my '63 Strat I was something of a collector of guitar straps. Of course I had one of the classic Fender straps that had their logo and a pic of a Strat headstock (in brown, the only color it came in back then). As I mentioned elsewhere, I had a leather strap that was identical to one that Rory Gallagher was pictured with on a cover of GP back then--not very comfortable as it was a hard leather, but it sure was cool looking! (my, the things that we concern ourselves with in our youth--LOL). My favorite strap back then was a 3 inch-wide yellow strap with a vibrant rainbow stripe down the middle, made of a very soft and comfortable suede-leather. As I wrote before elsewhere, it has been only since early September (when I bought my '03 Strat) that I have, shall we say, "returned to the guitar scene", and my current collection of straps (mostly Fender) is more basic, at least for now. I realy can't see myself wearing any of those "wild" straps that are out there nowadays, but if I ever come across anything like my "rainbow" strap from the old days, I just might spring for it.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

I saw a really interesting one last week, gotta find out about the maker. There are some I`ve seen here that are beautiful but I don`t like the design. They are made from pieces of hardwood, linked together crosswise by two braided cables. If one of the cables breaks, you`re screwed.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

By the way, Graph Tech Makes a strap-button that has a sort of "V"-shape that slips through your strap's holes just as easily as a standard strap-button, but won't slide off accidentally. They are available in black (the "Graph Tech" material) or "ivory" (their "Tusq" synthetic ivory material).

If a strap is so worn as to slip off these unintentionally, then it probably wouldn't even hold the hardware for Straplocks.

They look like a great product; if I didn't already have the Straplocks installed, I'd probably get these.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by sCary McMonster:

Those Levy's straps are just soooo comfortable once you've gotten them broken in; it's like heaven.

sCary McMonster ..............

They look cool, but that "once they are broken in" aspect is always a concern. Using real high grade leathers means that like a pair of great driving gloves, they do not need to be broken in, they are perfect from the first use.

This is what is sort of swaying me toward the Moody strap.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

They look cool, but that "once they are broken in" aspect is always a concern. Using real high grade leathers means that like a pair of great driving gloves, they do not need to be broken in, they are perfect from the first use.

This is what is sort of swaying me toward the Moody strap.[/QB]

I've bought all my Levy's new, and have never had a "breaking in" period. Levy's makes about 100+ styles and grades of strap, and some of the leather ones are more like "tooling" leather, so I could see some break in on those. The ones I have (and most of the good ones I see hanging at music stores) are made of the garment leather, so they're as soft as BUTTAH right out of the box. :thu:

And that foam padding . . . where the hell was THAT when I was in high school (which was back when Cameron Crowe was just starting to write for RS). :D

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

• 3 weeks later...
MYLES, i have quite a few gtrs & FOR the last few years, i have been going to walmart or wherever & buy LEATHER BELTS,lots cheaper (usualy $12 or so )& lots more styles..(the KEY to this is figureing the right size out,but once you get it ,just buy the same size all the time) i take them home razor blade the threads apart to take the buckle off & drill a hole in each end, & install SCHALLER strap locks,all my GTRS have schallers,so if needed,straps can be switched to the other gtrs, i used to use a leather punch(it looks like a big pair of pliers w/a round wheel W/differnt size punchs on it, but after a few holes they get clogged, being LAZY one day i decided to drill & been doing it that way since, also if you get a stiff strap or belt just start at one end & ROLL it UP , then START @ other end ROLL IT the other way ,KEEP repeating till it gets as SOFT as you want it,(also fold the edges in two the narrow part)i got a strap a few yrs ago it was so stiff, it almost cut my neck, took about a week of rolling 5 minutes or so a day & its as soft as a well worn glove.. MYLES DID YOU READ MY POST ON THE MESA NOMAD NOT CRUNCHY ENOUGH????? FOR SOME REASON I COULD NOT GET IT TO POST ON ASK MYLES ......ramjet

Archived