Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mesa Guitar Heads

southpawstrat

What do you guys think about Mesa guitar heads? I've always been led to believe they are very fine amps. Are they reliable? How are the clean and dirty tones? Thanks in advance.

-strat monk

"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've owned Mesa Boogie gear since about '88. Great amps, versatile, great tones on both sides of the spectrum. I don't own a head, I've got a Triaxis preamp and 395 power amp. Got both back in '92. Never felt like I wanted something else. I think some of the head model they're making now are a little more varied. One model may sound a little different when compared to the others. It used to be that most of their stuff was very similar sounding, but had different features.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

well unfortunatelly, because of the rectifier series a lot of people think that all boogie amps are for metal. the recto's are actually muc more well rounded than a lot of people would like to give them credit for. i use to own a rectoverb so i know from experience.

i think the best amps they make are ones that u really don't hear much about. the maverick is a blues and classic rock machine and it could probablly venture into metal territory. it

the blue angel is a single channel amp with an output section that uses 6v6 and el84 output tubes. it's great for blues.

the f series is on of my favorites. come tax return time in a couple of monthes i'm buying an f30. it has one of the sweetest clean sounds i have ever heard. the clean sounds very full and alive. the lead channel on the f30 can easilly be dialed in to get that classic boogie sound (think early santana.

really the sound on santanas "abraxas" really defines the the boogie lead sound. even though they all sound like boogies, they don't all sound the same. boogies are known for being hard to dial in until u get use to them. the way their eq's work isn't exactlly like your standard marshall or fender. there are a lot of tonal variations to be found in them, but the eq doesn't always work the way u think it would.

they are indeed reliable amps. they suse a combination of pcb and handwiring in their construction. and have a pretty good reputation for backing up their products.

I like the Solo Rectifier. That and a recto 4x12 or 2x12 would serve my needs for a long time. It's got fewer features than the other recto amps, but that's okay. My effects processor is crazy anyway, so I'd rather keep the amp simplified. I'd just spring extra for some comparable tubes from Groove Tubes. I'm not saying that just 'cause I love Myles. I'd just want my favorite take on the sound of the amp.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I like the Solo Rectifier. That and a recto 4x12 or 2x12 would serve my needs for a long time. It's got fewer features than the other recto amps, but that's okay. My effects processor is crazy anyway, so I'd rather keep the amp simplified. I'd just spring extra for some comparable tubes from Groove Tubes. I'm not saying that just 'cause I love Myles. I'd just want my favorite take on the sound of the amp.

Alex,

You can also use GT tubes in a more proper range in the Recto amps to get the idle dissapation to be in a nicer range. The stock range of the Mesa tubes is too cold and grainy for some player's tastes.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Alex,

You can also use GT tubes in a more proper range in the Recto amps to get the idle dissapation to be in a nicer range. The stock range of the Mesa tubes is too cold and grainy for some player's tastes.

Exactly, and I'd still have all the gain and tone I want. The overdrive box, fx in the loop, and wah will always be there for me should I really need to go nutz. :P;) I'm fairly sure John Petrucci doesn't use stock Mesa tubes on his various Mesa amps (the dude loves his IIc+'s).

Thanks for the responses! I think what I'm going to have to do is go to the music mall near me and try some out, and see which ones I like. I was looking at both the solo rectifier and the F series. We'll see what happens!
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Archived